Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you go about getting a product in stores?

Options
  • 22-04-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering the above.

Let's say you create a cereal and you wanted to get it into the likes of dunnes and Supervalu.
    How do you go about that?

I don't have a product but I am extremely interested in how the process works.

I'm assuming you her in touch with someone from the buying department?

Any information on this would be great. Also any links to this kind of subject please fire them my way 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

For tesco visit link below
    https://www.tescoplc.com/contacts/suppliers/

For musgrave get in touch
    Tel: +353 (0) 21 4522100

Lidl
    https://www.lidl.ie/kickstart

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Depending on the company you are dealing with it can be a long drawn out process. Find out who the relevant buyer is by looking online, LinkedIn, calling their head office. Send a sample with a cover letter and sample POS material to the buyer. A few days after the sample arrives, try calling the buyer. If/when they don't answer send them an email asking did they receive the sample. Hopefully they will reply. Obviously introductions always make the process so much easier so use your network.

Big retail chains can take a long long time to get into but you have to keep trying until you get your lucky break. If you want to get into smaller stores just show up and ask to speak to the manager. If you don't want to travel the call and email them.

You can also try using an account manager or a broker to make the approach on your behalf but make sure they already have products in the stores that you want to be in. Ideally the products they have would want to be in the same category as yours as each department has totally different buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A company with a single product will rarely get into stores.

So the routes to market is either the different "Food academy" initiatives that Lidl, Aldi & Supervalu run and if you succeed you get into some of their stores. If it sells well, it gets into more stores.

The other route is via a distributor. In the chilled food market, the leader is PRL

If its a product made in Ireland, then Bord Bia and other agencies will have product showcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

If you're in Dublin the Dublin Food Chain run regular events of meeting buyers:

https://www.dublinfoodchain.ie/

Your Local Enterprise Office is also a good place to start for advice.

Advertisement