Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike computer

Options
  • 21-04-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Currently have a rolson basic one but its not overly accurate. What should i be looking for in a computer for less than €100?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Currently have a rolson basic one but its not overly accurate. What should i be looking for in a computer for less than €100?

Stretch your budget a little if you can and pick up a second hand Garmin Edge.
    No wires, easy to mount and as much or as little data as you want/need.

https://touch.adverts.ie/bike-computers/garmin-edge-500-cycle-computer/23217532

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's a bit pricey for a second hand Garmin 500. Like they were great and all, but for not a whole lot more you'd nearly find a 520 or 520+.

For less you'd find Garmin 25 which does some of the basic stuff well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

I think the question to ask first is what do you want the bike computer to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

cletus wrote: »
    I think the question to ask first is what do you want the bike computer to do

Nothing too hectic, i like to see my speed, odo & trip kms covered (accurately), time!, wireless, gps basic maps would be a bonus.
    Ive seen a polar 460 for €120 but its a few years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If you want maps, you'll have to invest a bit more money. If you want to clean up the wires, lose the bulk and just have the basic readouts, then I would recommend the Catyeye Quick. I picked one up to replace a bulkier model and it does the job. Mantel had them for about 40 euro with free shipping, but they're out of stock atm. Availible elsewhere with shipping costs.

https://www.mantel.com/ie/cateye-quick-cycle-computer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the edge 25 for several years now. no maps, but it was only €45 in lidl, and i've never needed anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

i have the edge 25 for several years now. no maps, but it was only €45 in lidl, and i've never needed anything else.

That was some bargain then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep; they'd had it for €90 and did a clearout of the unsold ones for €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Polar M460 is a very nice computer - bit bigger than an Edge 500 and a lot more readable. Polar use very proprietary mounts however, so good luck finding an affordable one if that's part of the criteria.

Great computer though,

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Have a look at the bryton rider 320 I had thought about getting one for the young lad as it's cheap and cheerful but does a lot

https://www.bike24.com/p2399152.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

It depends on what you want to do with the computer Declathon have some cheap ones dont forget you get what you pay for.

I invested more than I originally wanted to on my Element Bolt and I havent regretted it.

I found my old Mio 105 which is Mio Garmin 500 equivalent. Sent you a PM about it if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Don't mean to hijack this thread.
    Can you get an inexpensive bike computer that'll show Strava segments & live info (like the Strava app) when you're riding the segment (distance gone/left, comparing to your best performance etc.).

Thanks,
    Pa.

an old phone springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭this.lad

But late to the party but I have a neostrack which I find very good and not overly expensive, I think I paid 120 for mine.

Does everything I need it to and plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What price would I need to pay for a computer that I enter my route & it'll show me distance to Final Destination & places along the route (that I've choosen)?
    And other metrics as well obviously (average, current speed etc)

Lastly,how do I enter my route-via phone which syncs to computer?
    Thanks
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Has anyone taken a gamble on the ultra cheap Chineese brand GPS computer?
    I'd love to hear feedback

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000617759634.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32889013237.html

Friend had the igsport one and very quickly got a Garmin instead

Advertisement