Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I improve this bike?

Options
  • 21-04-2021 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭

Am trying to educate myself a bit more about bikes, given the increasing amount of time I spend on them.

I have this at home, have had it for many years. I've used it intermittently, its always been an 'occasional' bike for me, not a commuter bike.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2007/trek/1500#/us/en/2007/trek/1500/details

Its probably in the category of good, but not great.

In addition, there is a significant problem in that I think its a little large for me.....

There are some good parts on it, ultergra groupset, and 105 parts.

Alumininium frame and carbon fork.

As such, I am wondering do I improve/ adjust it? What would be the best way to improve it - e.g. new wheels would be an obvious one? Would a shorter stem compensate for a bike where the frame is a little large.

Or do I sell it and buy a new one that has a better fit and better frame (second hand).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Fit is really the most important thing, a stem might help but it depends in which way it is too big. Frame size is unfortunately probably the only thing you cannot change on a bike and it possibly isn't worth getting a bikefit on a bike that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Flatbars

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I saw this story on a diy bike fit app that’s just been launched. I’ve no idea if it’s any good or not but maybe it could help you determine if frame is too big or adjusting the set up will be sufficient.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/diy-bike-fit-with-the-myvelofit-app/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    In addition, there is a significant problem in that I think its a little large for me.....
    do you know what size the bike is? and what height are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Christ! I can't believe that's the official Trek brochure photo with a stem like that on it!!!

Nice looking bike though. - As you say, it being too big is indeed a significant problem. If we were talking about pants or shoes you wouldn't think twice about it, you'd buy an alternative pair that fitted. Imo that's also the way to go here. Clean it up, sell it (which you should easily) and buy a bike that's your size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

do you know what size the bike is? and what height are you?

60cm/ 6'1.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Christ! I can't believe that's the official Trek brochure photo with a stem like that on it!!!

Nice looking bike though. - As you say, it being too big is indeed a significant problem. If we were talking about pants or shoes you wouldn't think twice about it, you'd buy an alternative pair that fitted. Imo that's also the way to go here. Clean it up, sell it (which you should easily) and buy a bike that's your size.

Yeah its a lovely bike, its very light and it accelerates so smoothly compared to any other bike I've ever had.

I really like it for climbing, on long flats not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

60cm/ 6'1.
    slightly outside my usual frame of reference (i'm 5 or six inches shorter) but going by online guides, it's not *outrageously* large for you. is the saddle sitting far back on its rails?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

60cm @ 6'1 would be a size too big. I'm a shade under - 183cm on a 58. 6'1 depending on your proportions would be near the top of the range of a 56, or 57/58 IMO.

slightly outside my usual frame of reference (i'm 5 or six inches shorter) but going by online guides, it's not *outrageously* large for you. is the saddle sitting far back on its rails?

I adjusted the seat forward a few years back.

Its always been just that slightly too big, but not so far off that it was a significant problem.

However as I get older, I think it becomes more of a problem particularly on long rides. Neck gets stiff in particular.

On balance, I think advice here is probably right, need to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd try a shorter stem first, if you really like the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

IMHO its a bit big. I am six foot and ride a 56 already too stretched on a 57 any changes you make are a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

To improve, fit 28c tyres if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

Nice bike, but it’s too big for you. I’m 6’2 and 58cm frames. Anything you do to make it fit will be trying to compact the frame as small as you can get, and I’d say you’d struggle to get a proper comfortable fit that also allows optimum power through the pedals. I’d say you’d be looking at a 56/57 cm frame set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Any chance you could post a photo of the bike in its current setup? It will make it easier to give advice.
    I adjusted the seat forward a few years back.

Its always been just that slightly too big, but not so far off that it was a significant problem.

However as I get older, I think it becomes more of a problem particularly on long rides. Neck gets stiff in particular.

On balance, I think advice here is probably right, need to change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm 6'1 and all my frames are 57/58cm. Every bike fitter I have ever been to can get me to fit them but all say I should be on a slightly smaller bike. I disagree, 58cm suits me but 60 is pushing it, possibly be alright for a commuter with the saddle low and a short stem, certainly I would tolerate it but it isn't the right size and nothing would fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

185cm here. I’m fairly sure I lost a couple of cm over the last 20 years!

My bikes are 55/58cm. So that nice bike sounds a bit big for you alright.

My recommendation to improve it is to give it to me and I’ll see if I can get comfortable on it :pac:

Advertisement