Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIC Question

Options
  • 20-04-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so a couple of friends I know started renting a small apartment above a restaurant. They got a bill there for over €750 for 3 months. I had a quick look and the MIC is 33kVA. The PSO Levy is €2.78 (ex. VAT) per kVA per month, so a huge chunk of the bill is here. The consumption is tiny, heating isn't elec, no instant shower. The bill is still in the landlord's name.
    Any advice here? They paid the landlord but now plan to move, unfortunately some other people will be caught with this next.
    Could this be some sort of scam where the MIC that the Chinese downstairs needs is paid for by the people renting the apartment?
    Any input is welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So the MIC is for a 3 phase supply and I assume that the apartment is single phase?

If this is the case I would suspect that charging someone for this is illegal as the MIC bill has been misdirected (deliberately or otherwise).

Obviously there should be a seperate meter for the appartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

2011 wrote: »
    So the MIC is for a 3 phase supply and I assume that the apartment is single phase?

If this is the case I would suspect that charging someone for this is illegal as the MIC bill has been misdirected (deliberately or otherwise).

Obviously there should be a seperate meter for the appartment.

Is 33kVA a standard 3phase supply?
    Apartment is single phase.
    I think the apartment has it's own meter, but I can't under stand why there would be such a large MIC for a small two bed apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Havannah.

33kva would be around about supply capacity for 3P whole current setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I just had a look at the bil and it says DG5, which is "Low Voltage Non-Domestic Non-MD Customers".
    Something fishy going on here.

Advertisement