Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance

Options
  • 20-04-2021 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi I’m thinking of buying a van like Ford transit custom as a second vehicle with a view to maybe converting it later. However that’s not relevant at the moment.
    My question is regarding insurance (private not commercial)on the van as a second vehicle. I’ve called a few insurance companies with some saying no outright and others saying I’d have to move my full insurance from my car to the van which I’m not prepared to do as I’d only be using the van occasionally.
    Just wondering if anyone else had insured the van as a second vehicle?
    Regards

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fintea wrote: »
    I’ve called a few insurance companies with some saying no outright and others saying I’d have to move my full insurance from my car to the van which I’m not prepared to do as I’d only be using the van occasionally.
    Regards

I've mine with Chill (Axa Policy) and they "mirrored" my full no calims bonus from my car (which I'm keeping) on to the van. It is commercial insurance though and not private.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fintea

I've mine with Chill (Axa Policy) and they "mirrored" my full no calims bonus from my car (which I'm keeping) on to the van. It is commercial insurance though and not private.

Will try them and see do they offer the same on private insurance.ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Fintea wrote: »
    Hi I’m thinking of buying a van like Ford transit custom as a second vehicle with a view to maybe converting it later. However that’s not relevant at the moment.
    My question is regarding insurance (private not commercial)on the van as a second vehicle. I’ve called a few insurance companies with some saying no outright and others saying I’d have to move my full insurance from my car to the van which I’m not prepared to do as I’d only be using the van occasionally.
    Regards

In my experience most insurance companies are a bit awkward when it comes to a private party insuring a commercial vehicle or vehicle built for primary commercial purpose with no apparent reasoning for doing so, they make it unnecessarily awkward in most cases but it is possible.

The absolute best route for insuring a van is to take a seperate policy, I was not aware of any insurance companies letting you have a car and a van on the one policy so finding a company that would let you is probably a futile effort on your part.

As far as a van policy most crowds will let you mirror your car insurance which makes the policy considerably cheaper

I found insuremyvan to be great at answering any questions I had about van insurance so I'd suggest maybe giving them a call and seeing what they say would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fintea

gary550 wrote: »
    In my experience most insurance companies are a bit awkward when it comes to a private party insuring a commercial vehicle or vehicle built for primary commercial purpose with no apparent reasoning for doing so, they make it unnecessarily awkward in most cases but it is possible.

The absolute best route for insuring a van is to take a seperate policy, I was not aware of any insurance companies letting you have a car and a van on the one policy so finding a company that would let you is probably a futile effort on your part.

As far as a van policy most crowds will let you mirror your car insurance which makes the policy considerably cheaper

I found insuremyvan to be great at answering any questions I had about van insurance so I'd suggest maybe giving them a call and seeing what they say would be best.

Ok will give them a buzz aswell. Until I’m sure I can get insurance I’ll not be buying the van.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shocker95

Did you manage to get a insurance policy ? I’m in the exact same place as yourself. I purchased a 07 transit connect for private use (only weekend use) and insurance companies don’t want to touch me. It’s a joke being honest any info would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Try quote devil. They quoted me the same for a small van (Doblo etc) as I'm currently paying for my car (around €650). That's with a good few years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ellieMC1234

Im trying to get insurance for a car van - Citroen Berlingo - as a sole trader for my start up business selling sports accessories and equipment for cycling. I said ‘business development’ as my profession but they won’t accept this as it is not in the recommended trade profession for commercial van insurance. (Plumber, carpenter, farmer, etc) What profession can I use? I am a designer by occupation but branching into something g new. This is so frustrating 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED 

I’ve also just returned to Ireland after living abroad for a number of years so my No Claims isn’t valid anymore.

Advertisement