Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90 Commissioning Issue

Options
  • 20-04-2021 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.

I have a new Triton T90 SR which I installed last night. The shower ran hot for the first use but has not run hot since - the water coming from the unit is freezing cold and will not heat up (flow is fine).

I called Triton this morning and they're pretty certain that I've not installed the commissioning pin properly. I'm sure I have. I watched the install video and I used a narrow pliers to move the pin from the 'on' to the 'off' position as shown in the video. I didn't slide it which was Triton's assumption! They are saying 2 weeks for someone to come out and look at the unit.

I have a second T90 in another bathroom and I've checked that and the pin is in the same position as in my new shower.

Is it a potential problem / fault with the commissioning pin? Could I remove the pin from the second shower and check it in the new shower (I'm nervous of this as I don't want to break it). Am I missing something obvious with the installation of the pin? Is it likely to be a heater fault in a new shower?

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

Sleeper12 will soon advise but if not the "pin" just possibly a faulty TCO but you will need a multimeter to check this out.

If shower ran hot even once then hardly the commissioning pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I agree with John. Triton, Mira Aqualisa etc get called to a lot of places where there is no shower fault. They charge 70 to 95 euro for the wasted visit. To avoid you paying this money they keep pushing the installation mantra to get you to double check. At times they can scare the customer into getting the installer back (free of charge) to tell them that the installation is good. A little unfair on the installer imo.

Back to your shower. If you have good flow then almost certainly a blown TCO. You can buy one for 25 euros and replace it yourself if you don't want to wait for a Triton service call. Triton usually get to you within a few days but with Covid-19 everything is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for the advice.

I took the TCO out of the new shower and it had a noticeable rattle and the bottom plate was stiff.

I then took the TCO from ten year old T90 that I removed last night (which had no rattle and the bottom plate clicked cleanly when pressed in an out) and installed that in the new shower (it looked the same as the new one) but still no joy.

Should I order and try a new TCO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

You might need two TCOs now as these should not, under any circumstances, be pressed in/out, you might be lucky, is the old shower now back up and running with its old TCO reinstalled?.
    If it is then it should have worked in the new shower, I think that you must switch on the pump also when commissioning apart from the locking screw, presume you did this? if applicable.

Thanks again.

I tool the TCO off the old shower which is now not in use. i've left the new shower up as we can use a different bathroom for a while.

Good to know I shouldn't be pressing the bottom of the TCO :) I'll order a new TCO and see if I can get that to work.

• Advertisement

Quick update.

Got a new TCO and fitted it but still no hot water.

Triton engineer came on Friday (only 3 days wait, not the 2 weeks suggested by customer service).

He diagnosed the problem in 30 secs. Not enough water flowing to the shower unit. He advised checking the valve on the water line from the tank to the shower. Sure enough when I checked it the gate valve handle was spinning around so obviously broken.

Quick plumbing tutorial on YouTube, and a new ball valve inserted in place of the gate valve and problem solved. The old valve was banjaxed.

Thanks for the help.

In the opening post it says flow is fine. This prevented us from investigating further than the TCO.

Did they change you for the call out or not charge as a good will gesture?

Flow looked fine when I installed the shower, but either I misjudged the flow or the valve moved closed afterwards. When I took the old valve off the pipe the inside of the valve was moving opened and closed when I turned it about.

They didn’t charge (yet anyway), but would be happy to pay as my fault not the showers.

griffin100 wrote:
    They didn’t charge (yet anyway), but would be happy to pay as my fault not the showers.

They are pretty decent about charging. There's a good chance they won't

Advertisement