Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Room Heat recovery Ventilation

Options
  • 19-04-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Have a 4 bed house recently warmboarded (60s build in 9" cavities) Rooms just have the standard hole in the wall vent. Rooms get a small bit of condensation on cold still evenings/mornings.

Was looking at the single room ventilation options from Ecovolt, Partel(Lunos) and Ermen (loads more but they're the Irish sites).

Anybody any experience with them? Was considering installing 1 or 2. Does that mean leave the other rooms as is or block up the vents? If using 2 units they work in combination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I bought one of the below for my office which doubles as a hair salon.

I was able to fit as I was building but it can be retrofitted with a core drill.

The unit itself is fantastic, really works a treat. Fantastic ventilation and it does a great job of keeping the heat in.

https://www.kair.co.uk/product/kair-heat-recovery-room-ventilator/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    I bought one of the below for my office which doubles as a hair salon.

I was able to fit as I was building but it can be retrofitted with a core drill.

The unit itself is fantastic, really works a treat. Fantastic ventilation and it does a great job of keeping the heat in.

https://www.kair.co.uk/product/kair-heat-recovery-room-ventilator/
    Did you buy online?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yeah i bought online, that was pre brexit though so it might be cheaper for you to source somewhere in Europe instead of the UK.

https://www.restorationuk.com/condensation-products/single-room-heat-recovery-ventilators

• Registered Users Posts: 30 finnyob

Are there any obvious limitations to installing the Kair HRV above?

We've a similar 70s build semi-d with good old 9" cavity block walls, draughty suspended floors and lovely draughty straight through the wall vents. Planning on doing a retrofit to insulate internally, insulate floors at ground level and seal them up as airtight as possible (along with all new electrics, heating and plumbing, new windows). Just wondering if that would be enough to get us up to a standard where SR-HRV is a sensible choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

if doing that level of work, go with EWI at the same time as the windows, with the windows mounted on the outside face of the wall.
    Then go the whole hog with MHVR and work on getting the air chan get down to an acceptable level

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 finnyob

if doing that level of work, go with EWI at the same time as the windows, with the windows mounted on the outside face of the wall.
    Then go the whole hog with MHVR and work on getting the air chan get down to an acceptable level

We were considering EWI for a while, but we had conflicting reports/opinions on it from multiple sources. In the end we've decided to go with the internal and underfloor insulation as floors would be up anyway and all rads off walls and we can afford to lose a few inches in the rooms. There's every likelihood we'll be parking the new windows for a while though.

finnyob wrote: »
    We were considering EWI for a while, but we had conflicting reports/opinions on it from multiple sources. In the end we've decided to go with the internal and underfloor insulation as floors would be up anyway and all rads off walls and we can afford to lose a few inches in the rooms. There's every likelihood we'll be parking the new windows for a while though.

Regarding insulating internally and air tightness what will be the buildup of your floor and walls? I am thinking of potential moisture on block work etc.

Advertisement