Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a New Wire for a Hob

Options
  • 19-04-2021 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So, I'm looking at getting a new induction hob.
    At the moment in the kitchen there's a 6mm cable with a 32A fuse for both the oven and the hob.
    Most induction hobs seem to either need a higher amp fuse, with a 10mm cable for the oven and the hob on the same wire, or a separate wire for itself, with at least a 32a fuse (or even more) .
    Is it better to get a whole new wire installed with a new fuse, or upgrade the current one with the two appliances on the same circuit?
    And does anyone know approx. how much it would be?
    The house was built in 2006,and the fuse board is in the next room over from the kitchen (probs 4-5m away) (if that's relevant!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hard to say without seeing it, and how difficult it may prove to route the new cable from the board to the cooker. As a ball park, I would be budgeting €500. If you are thinking about very big hobs, there could potentially be supply capacity considerations and an interlock required with any electric shower, which would add more cost.

Some hobs provide a option at installation whereby the load can be limited by not allowing all rings on at the same time. 32A is good for over 7KW.

How avid a cook are you? Would you anticipate having the whole shebang oven and all going together?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clairlyagenius

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Hard to say without seeing it, and how difficult it may prove to route the new cable from the board to the cooker. As a ball park, I would be budgeting €500. If you are thinking about very big hobs, there could potentially be supply capacity considerations and an interlock required with any electric shower, which would add more cost.

Some hobs provide a option at installation whereby the load can be limited by not allowing all rings on at the same time. 32A is good for over 7KW.

How avid a cook are you? Would you anticipate having the whole shebang oven and all going together?

Yeah, I'm not sure if he'd have to tear into the walls to get the cable in, or if it could be pulled through on the existing wire.. (I am nowhere near either a builder, or an electrician so I am on unknown ground here xD)
    Not massive hobs, I only have the space for a 60cm one, and most of them seem to be max 7.4kw, I think.. (my hob prospect's are in the €300-500 range so not a super fancy one)

I wouldn't say I'm huge into cooking, but I would regularly require the use of multiple rings at once, and I bake a good bit so the oven would be on! I did briefly consider a range cooker, but I think that's adding an unnecessary space problem on top of the electrical one! 😅

Yeah, I'm not sure if he'd have to tear into the walls to get the cable in, or if it could be pulled through on the existing wire.. (I am nowhere near either a builder, or an electrician so I am on unknown ground here xD)
    Not massive hobs, I only have the space for a 60cm one, and most of them seem to be max 7.4kw, I think.. (my hob prospect's are in the €300-500 range so not a super fancy one)

I wouldn't say I'm huge into cooking, but I would regularly require the use of multiple rings at once, and I bake a good bit so the oven would be on! I did briefly consider a range cooker, but I think that's adding an unnecessary space problem on top of the electrical one! 😅

At up to 7.4KW, I think I would retain the existing supply. There is a principle in electricity called diversity, which are certain assumptions that not everything will be drawing full power at the one time. Even if you had everything on, they are still thermostatically controlled, so I think your existing supply is likely to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clairlyagenius

At up to 7.4KW, I think I would retain the existing supply. There is a principle in electricity called diversity, which are certain assumptions that not everything will be drawing full power at the one time. Even if you had everything on, they are still thermostatically controlled, so I think your existing supply is likely to be fine.

And would that put a limit on the oven I could get, since they would both be on the same connection?
    Like, say I got an induction hob that was 7.4kw, would I be able to get a really good oven down the line, and still have them both on the same connection, or would their combined power be too much for the wire (or like, partial power, so if I had the oven on and two rings say) ?
    I'm just kind of worried about future proofing, since I'm fixing things one at a time, but I'd prefer get the big jobs (like upgrading wires if needed) done BEFORE it becomes a problem, if you get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Havannah.

Never heard of a cooker and shower being interlocked

Either u have the capacity or you upgrade

• Advertisement

Havannah. wrote: »
    Never heard of a cooker and shower being interlocked

Either u have the capacity or you upgrade

It’s not going to arise in a typical installation, but some of the larger all electric cookers are a considerable draw. The range master all electric has a nameplate maximum demand of about 15KW.

When you consider applicances of this nature, heat pumps and EV chargers, some degree of load managment needs to be considered. Increasing the size of the supply may be a consideration, but I’m not convinced it is the complete solution in the context of some of these modern loads.

What do you think?

It’s not going to arise in a typical installation, but some of the larger all electric cookers are a considerable draw. The range master all electric has a nameplate maximum demand of about 15KW.

When you consider applicances of this nature, heat pumps and EV chargers, some degree of load managment needs to be considered. Increasing the size of the supply may be a consideration, but I’m not convinced it is the complete solution in the context of some of these modern loads.

What do you think?
    Hmm , off the top of my head

Obviously the showers are regularly interlocked

EV charging and instantaneous showers that's a runner too for it , you shower before and after car charging schedule

I've interlocked stuff before where the capacity wasn't available, an electric kiln for example

A electric cooker will obviously have a lot of diversity applied but is a random sort of load not easily given to controlling along with an instantaneous shower

Othere aspect of course is the safety aspect of controllers with showers and cookers, the issue is already present with showers that don't have no-volt release(flooding risk) , cookers may be switched on and re-energize after a shower is finished causing a fire hazard

Anyhow a lot of changes in the works probably re: meter cabinets and car charging and upgrades of supply capacity

Havannah. wrote: »
    Hmm , off the top of my head

Obviously the showers are regularly interlocked

EV charging and instantaneous showers that's a runner too for it , you shower before and after car charging schedule

I've interlocked stuff before where the capacity wasn't available, an electric kiln for example

A electric cooker will obviously have a lot of diversity applied but is a random sort of load not easily given to controlling along with an instantaneous shower

Othere aspect of course is the safety aspect of controllers with showers and cookers, the issue is already present with showers that don't have no-volt release(flooding risk) , cookers may be switched on and re-energize after a shower is finished causing a fire hazard

Anyhow a lot of changes in the works probably re: meter cabinets and car charging and upgrades of supply capacity

The safety consideration on re-energising is a good point. Really anything controlled with such an arrangement needs some form of no-volt release.
    I notice many of the EV chargers now supplied with a CT to monitor the building load and deprioritize EV charging if the building load exceeds a set point. A good idea I thought.

The safety consideration on re-energising is a good point. Really anything controlled with such an arrangement needs some form of no-volt release.
    I notice many of the EV chargers now supplied with a CT to monitor the building load and deprioritize EV charging if the building load exceeds a set point. A good idea I thought.

Ya smarter control will be a feature i guess going forward

Advertisement