Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Leak...

Options
  • 19-04-2021 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Noticed that my towel radiators were not heating.
    Went to boiler and the system pressure was down so I opened up the fill valve to recharge the system.
    Got to 1.25 bar and 'hot' water started leaking out from the boiler (Grant Vortex Boilerhouse condensing boiler). Boiler is 10 yrs old.

I will open it later this evening to have a look at where the leak is coming from, but any obvious culprit??

Heat exchanger?? or are there known seals that wear out?
    Can the heat exchanger be replaced on those boilers?

Thanks,
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

Noticed that my towel radiators were not heating.
    Went to boiler and the system pressure was down so I opened up the fill valve to recharge the system.
    Got to 1.25 bar and 'hot' water started leaking out from the boiler (Grant Vortex Boilerhouse condensing boiler). Boiler is 10 yrs old.

I will open it later this evening to have a look at where the leak is coming from, but any obvious culprit??

Heat exchanger?? or are there known seals that wear out?
    Can the heat exchanger be replaced on those boilers?

Thanks,
    Mike

You would need to see where it’s coming from. Hopefully from a fitting or leaking pressure relief valve. Otherwise you have problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

For info - I found the leak.

The condensate drain pipe melted the plastic pipe which resulted in condensate draining down between the outer shell and the insulation which resulted in external corrosion under insulation.
    The acid in the condensate corroded through the outer body (ideal conditions - warm and wet...) and the leak is from the body.

I am going to weld a plate over the whole section - there is still a lot of good steel there to weld to and I will see how it goes. Might save me the cost of a new boiler...

Mike

Advertisement