Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin cycling club recommendations

Options
  • 18-04-2021 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

My wife is interested in joining a cycling club in Dublin and looking for advice/recommendations. She’s interested in group rides, sportives and the social aspect for now, probably not racing.

She had been commuting about 15k per day by bike pre-Covid, and has done a few sportives and 50-60k spins in the past and loves being on the bike, but she has no commute now, and when she has time to get out and do stuff, she’d rather do something social than cycle alone, hence the interest in a club.

I’ve seen people mention Orwell Wheelers and St.Tiernan’s as great for women who are new to group riding, but they might be a little too far away from us (we live near the South side of the Phoenix Park) and seem as though they are closed to new members - not sure if that’s Covid related or if they’re just not taking new members??

Would anyone have suggestions for beginner- friendly clubs that are near us, ideally with plenty of women too? Or any other useful advice I can pass on to her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

breadevery wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife is interested in joining a cycling club in Dublin and looking for advice/recommendations. She’s interested in group rides, sportives and the social aspect for now, probably not racing.

She had been commuting about 15k per day by bike pre-Covid, and has done a few sportives and 50-60k spins in the past and loves being on the bike, but she has no commute now, and when she has time to get out and do stuff, she’d rather do something social than cycle alone, hence the interest in a club.

I’ve seen people mention Orwell Wheelers and St.Tiernan’s as great for women who are new to group riding, but they might be a little too far away from us (we live near the South side of the Phoenix Park) and seem as though they are closed to new members - not sure if that’s Covid related or if they’re just not taking new members??

Would anyone have suggestions for beginner- friendly clubs that are near us, ideally with plenty of women too? Or any other useful advice I can pass on to her?

Hi,

I'm not local so therefore no really familiar with the Dublin scene, that said I am aware that there is, or at there was, a number of girls (ladles) in Lucan Cycling Road Club.

Also there's a number of girls in the Sundrive Track Cycling Team. Despite the name I have seen Sundrive folks out on the road and at The Ladies League in Corcaigh Park.

Maybe also might be worth looking at http://womenscycling.ie

I know the Ladies League might sound daunting. Trust me, it's not. Everyone is welcoming and they cater for all levels from beginners to elite but without any crap, (The voice of experience).

All of the above have sites / online presence, which is probably the best way to make contact during these times., but if she's thinking about joining a club, just do it, I did and have never looked back. I am one of only a handful of ladies in my local club and often the only lady on club spins but the lads are fab; I love em; it's a bit like a cross between me just being "one of the lads" (in a good way) or having 10 big brothers LOL, either way after initial hesitancy on my part I am so glad I took the step of reaching out to my club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Blanch Wheelies would be close enough to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Tallaght Wheelers, affiliated with the Cyclesuperstore is another option perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Doubt Orwell are taking in new members right now and there used to be a sizeable waiting list - possibly moreso due to Covid?

Blanch Wheelies would be a good option - pretty relaxed small club with possibly less of the nonsense you can find in the big highly organised outfits. Not sure on the female numbers though, if that's a criterion?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are a few members of the Lucan club (LCRC) who live near the Park. Good mix of men and women. People grouped accroding to their preferred speed and distance and it makes for enjoyable spins for all.
    PM me if you want a contact number for the person who looks after the newbies.
    However, with Covid, I'd say most clubs might be putting a hold on new members (they can confirm for sure) but it was only last weekend when my group went out in pairs (I didn't go myself).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a mate of mine is a member of castleknock cycling club (but i think i recall comments here about some of their members being a bit standoffish?)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breadevery

Thanks a million for all the recommendations everyone!!‚ I’m passing them all on to her

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breadevery

There are a few members of the Lucan club (LCRC) who live near the Park. Good mix of men and women. People grouped accroding to their preferred speed and distance and it makes for enjoyable spins for all.
    PM me if you want a contact number for the person who looks after the newbies.
    However, with Covid, I'd say most clubs might be putting a hold on new members (they can confirm for sure) but it was only last weekend when my group went out in pairs (I didn't go myself).

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭tonytiger81

Dublin Wheelers meet at Santry stadium and do beginners groups too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Any cycling club should be good tbh, obviously mine is the best :D but they all should all have something to offer your wife. Ican't think of any bad ones in the Dublin area anyway, it's just up to what she wants to do.

I wouldn't write off competitive cycling either, once you get into it it's addictive! Corkagh park as mentioned is a great stepping stone also.
    A club with a good racing crew can support all horizons. Sundrive, Dublin Wheelers, Tiernans, Orwell, Lucan, Clontarf. The others might have a few racers too I didn't race on the road last year so didn't see them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement