Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best [pork] butcher in Cork?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing some pulled pork next weekend, which requires pork butt (aka shoulder). Is there a particularly recommended (pork) butcher in the city where I could head to? While I'm there, I wouldn't mind picking up some high quality (smoked) bacon & some sausages - have a really luxurious Sunday!

I also have recipes in mind using beef ribs, so it would be good to know if there is a particular butcher that I should pick those up from too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume you mean the city ? But if not , murphys main street midleton is pretty good , ( might be worth ringing ahead if you want a whole shoulder early in the week ),
    If your going into the english market I always go to o'mahony's just inside the grand parade entrance ,
    O'flynns on marlborough street looks really good - but I haven't been In ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Markcheese wrote: »
    I assume you mean the city ? But if not , murphys main street midleton is pretty good , ( might be worth ringing ahead if you want a whole shoulder early in the week ),
    If your going into the english market I always go to o'mahony's just inside the grand parade entrance ,
    O'flynns on marlborough street looks really good - but I haven't been In ...

Thanks for both those tips - yes, I do indeed mean the city.

I had the English Market in mind, but figured to see if any Boardsies had any other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Thanks for both those tips - yes, I do indeed mean the city.

I had the English Market in mind, but figured to see if any Boardsies had any other suggestions.

I second O'Flynns. Found their meat to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

I called O'Flynns about getting a pork shoulder and they said they would not have them very often and pork was not their speciality. They did recommend Bresnans who are in the English market or in the rebuilt Douglas shopping centre.

Bresnans had a choice of vacuum packed pork shoulders of different weights which was ideal and nice guys too, in Douglas by the way.

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    I called O'Flynns about getting a pork shoulder and they said they would not have them very often and pork was not their speciality. They did recommend Bresnans who are in the English market or in the rebuilt Douglas shopping centre.

Bresnans had a choice of vacuum packed pork shoulders of different weights which was ideal and nice guys too, in Douglas by the way.

Thanks for the tip - I had a look on their website and they have pork shoulder & beef short ribs listed, both of which I was looking for previously. I might give it a go in the English Market before I traipse out to Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Flynn's are also very good for sausages. Great selection and some unusual varieties. They usually make them on Thursday I think, so stocks might be low by today.
    Not to be confused with the other O'Flynn's brand. Those ones are good, but Flynn's on Marlboro Street are the best in town IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I've often gotten pork shoulder 9 and similar cuts in Bresnans. Always found them great. Not the most attractive butchers stall in the market but quality always seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another vote for O'Mahony's.

On occasion, he has free range pork but his regular pork is the best I've found i n shops/butchers.

I quite like Bresnan's in Douglas but I can't stand that man in The Market - I refuse to give him my money. Also, they don't have prices on anything which annoys me.

Seems like I'm spoiled for choice... O'Mahony's do not list pork butt on their website, but I'm supposing their in market offering would differ.

Thanks for all the pointers & advice. I think I'll give O'Mahony's a first shout, then work my way through the others if they do not have the pork shoulder in stock.

I'm missing Herterich's from Galway - a small pork only butcher back home...!

• Advertisement

I quite like Bresnan's in Douglas but I can't stand that man in The Market - I refuse to give him my money.

Seriously? “You can’t stand that man” What happened to not being a dick around here? Any need for a personal dig at a septuagenarian trader?

What a charmer you are yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Starting with your request, the butt is a specific part of the shoulder, not the entire joint, so if you get the entire shoulder you get the butt plus other pieces. A good butcher will know this.

Echoing other posters, I would recommend a visit to Eoin O'Mahony in the English Market. He had porks butts prepared a few weeks ago as I got one myself but to be sure give him a call and order ahead.

I asked him previously about the source of his pork and he was fairly on the ball, researched a number of providers and visited them personally to see their animals and setup before choosing one, i cant remember where exactly, but it was somewhere up around the cork tip border.

In my opinion he is the best butcher in the city for beef, pork and lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭PreCocious

pwurple wrote: »
    Seriously? “You can’t stand that man” What happened to not being a dick around here? Any need for a personal dig at a septuagenarian trader?

Market traders trade on their personalities as much as their products. If someone finds their personality to be grating then they're perfectly entitled to say that.

I avoid the veg stall across from O'Flynns sausages ever since he tried to overcharge me. (He also was noted reselling Lidl produce). I'm also not too enamoured with the shtick from the UK Queen's Fishmonger.

+1 here for O'Mahony's - great meat and great service.

Cork is very bloody small, a heck of a lot of people know those traders personally. I don’t think publicly slighting elderly people with no means of defending themselves is right tbh.

But aside from what I think, It’s damaging his personal character .. think that’s called defamation isn’t it?

gooseman12 wrote: »
    Starting with your request, the butt is a specific part of the shoulder, not the entire joint, so if you get the entire shoulder you get the butt plus other pieces. A good butcher will know this.

Echoing other posters, I would recommend a visit to Eoin O'Mahony in the English Market. He had porks butts prepared a few weeks ago as I got one myself but to be sure give him a call and order ahead.

I asked him previously about the source of his pork and he was fairly on the ball, researched a number of providers and visited them personally to see their animals and setup before choosing one, i cant remember where exactly, but it was somewhere up around the cork tip border.

In my opinion he is the best butcher in the city for beef, pork and lamb.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give them a buzz the day / two days before I plan to go pick it up.

Cork is very bloody small, a heck of a lot of people know those traders personally. I don’t think publicly slighting elderly people with no means of defending themselves is right tbh.

But aside from what I think, It’s damaging his personal character .. think that’s called defamation isn’t it?

Ha ?

Defamation ? Going by your definition then you're defaming people by accusing them of "publicly slighting".

People are just stating an opinion. Much like people give opinions on food from restaurants or accuse small local supermarkets of overcharging and having out of date foods on their shelves.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116785156&postcount=3655

PreCocious wrote: »
    Ha ?

Defamation ? Going by your definition then you're defaming people by accusing them of "publicly slighting".

People are just stating an opinion. Much like people give opinions on food from restaurants or accuse small local supermarkets of overcharging and having out of date foods on their shelves.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116785156&postcount=3655

But, but but....
    Supervalu isn't an elderly man........

But, but but....
    Supervalu isn't an elderly man........

Supervalu isn't a person at all in fact.

That's what "personal" means.

Jesus this place is a creche sometimes.

Perhaps you would like me to outline the reasons why I dislike this man?Things I've seen him do, things I've heard him say?
    I suspect that you wouldn't like me to publicly air my reasons for my dislike.

Or perhaps you should just leave well alone and not try to police people's opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd see that as a just a personal opinion. ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

It's rather interesting, really.

So, someone makes a comment stating that they don't like a business owner.

This comment most likely would have garnered no further comment or discussion but for one poster's need to jump to the business owner's defence and start throwing accusations around.

Now everyone is focused on this issue and on the original message.

So, I guess, the moral of the story is that sometimes it is better to do nothing at all.

It's just as well it wasn't a woman I expressed my dislike for because, as we all know, the misogyny card would have been instantly played as per usual with this poster.

Scally's is run by people of the same name. People who are very active and helpful in their local community. So when you claim Scally's overcharges you're claiming that the Scally family make a decision to do so.

That seems very personal to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Saying you dont like someone is not defamation. Can we get back on topic please.

I went with O’Mahoney’s in the end, preordering yesterday to be safe and collecting today.

I passed by some of the other stalls recommended and there’s a marked difference between the presentation of O’Mahoney’s and the others.

We’ll see how my recipes using it goes.

Perhaps it’s a product of 1) me being a blow in to Cork and 2) I seldom went to butchers growing up, but I did find the experience a little intimidating - and the choice of stalls in the market is overwhelming too.

I went with O’Mahoney’s in the end, preordering yesterday to be safe and collecting today.

I passed by some of the other stalls recommended and there’s a marked difference between the presentation of O’Mahoney’s and the others.

Perhaps it’s a product of 1) me being a blow in to Cork and 2) I seldom went to butchers growing up, but I did find the experience a little intimidating - and the choice of stalls in the market is overwhelming too.

You won't go wrong with O Mahony's.
    He's one of the few whole beast butchers left.
    He'll do any cut of meat you can dream up if you can describe it and give notice.
    There's are cheaper butchers in the market but because of his diverse range of cuts there is some serious value to be had there too.

I have no connection with this business aside from being a long standing customer.

The buffalo from there is really great.
    Like I said, he occasionally has free range pork but his regular pork is way better than average anyway.
    He has on occasion had goat.
    If veal is your thing (I just prefer beef) he sells rose veal, too.
    Cheeks, tails, hocks, short ribs, tri tip, pichanna- it's all there.

Such a quality, innovative butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

oh do let us know - a pic wud be great too..

we use Coughlans.. they mince the meat in front of us.. quality stuff.. not used O'Mahony's.. no reason. just found Coughlans.. found it good so stuck with it.

Well, I’ve cooked up my pork shoulder.

Half went to carnitas, using tacos from Mr Bells (thanks @ The Beer Revolu for pointing where to find them!). Really quite tasty, a simple preparation that allowed the quality of the pork shine through.

Other half went to pulled pork. 8 hours low and slow, bone clean out and very tasty.

Thanks to all for their tips in the English Market. For sure no hesitation recommending O’Mahoney’s to others.

Thinking of doing something with short ribs next weekend, and they’ll be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Well, I’ve cooked up my pork shoulder.

Half went to carnitas, using tacos from Mr Bells (thanks @ The Beer Revolu for pointing where to find them!). Really quite tasty, a simple preparation that allowed the quality of the pork shine through.

Other half went to pulled pork. 8 hours low and slow, bone clean out and very tasty.

Thanks to all for their tips in the English Market. For sure no hesitation recommending O’Mahoney’s to others.

Thinking of doing something with short ribs next weekend, and they’ll be my first port of call.

sounds great - any pics?

I'd call Eoin beforehand. He seems to cut his short ribs differently to how I've seen them done elsewhere. You may want to ensure that they are done how you want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

O Driscolls butcher counter in Ballinlough is excellent, I regulary travel from Carrigaline, well worth it in my opinion.

Advertisement