Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera with gsm that emails photos

Options
  • 18-04-2021 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭

Hi , I am having trouble off and on with someone entering my yard and am looking for a single camera that'll snap n email photos. There's only one way they can come in so doesn't have to rotate etc.
    I have rigged up an outdoor socket and a spotlight on a timer that comes on at night. Can someone recommend a plug in outdoor camera that I put in a sim card that'll send me photos.
    I'm not the most technically gifted so something on aliexpress may be beyond me!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

Did you get any where with this? Im looking for something similar but don't have power so need an option with battery supply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Lads, a trail cam using 2g or 3g on eBay is going to be cheap and fairly hassle free.

I use bog-standard trailcams (3 of them about my mother's property) and supplement it with Alfred on old Android 4 phones when I visit during the day and take her to town (I don't bother with a sim in the phones, I just set them to WiFi and use a mifi with a cheap 48 SIM).

For instant reaction security, get yourself a 3g trailcam. About €100. You can then log in remotely, live, if needed (that's how I use the Alfred old mobiles set up to protect my own house day and night. I was using heavier duty stuff but this is much handier, instantly backed up online and very adaptable.

For reviewing footage and building intel on casing patterns, a simple trailcam with a 32gb microsd is your only man. Particularly as you'll get upwards of a month or more out of a 32GB card and, importantly, the AA or AAA batteries. Get 2 or 3 (they're €25-30, not including the 32GB card) and have each camera's physical position covered by another. So if someone tampers with one, you've got them on the other.

Depending on how far away this area is, don't underestimate a simple driveway alarm from eBay /Amazon. Use tape to close the aperture of the beam to a fine line or a dot. Then have it terminating against a solid surface. If anyone passes through, above animal height, you will know.

Depending on how brazen they are, dummy cameras are useful decoys while real ones are recording.

Many a dumb ethnic power washer who shielded his stupid head from my car warning him of CCTV onboard while he got shot for posterity by my upstairs and downstairs cameras. Dumb sh1te.

Ps you don't have to but it's far more effective and less headwrecking to but you do have to alter a .txt file on the SD card so that it correctly date stamps the videos and images.

Out of 3 cams bought last summer, one has failed. But working to revive it.. only €30 though! Great security 24/7.

You could also research Reolink who have built a name in good quality robust outdoor security cameras. e.g. https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Reolink-Go-4G-Camera-UK-Stock-UK-Fast-Delivery-No-Unpleasant-Import-Taxes-/254399602628?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edit ps for anyone reading, look up Mr Beams security lights on Amazon. For anyone who has power issues, these are battery and run on D size batteries. They are excellent for what they are. I lash them up with cable ties. Very highly rated, by Amazon, by YouTube, by me. Batteries last 4-6 months easy. Usable light, not drop your weapons light. But unnerving enough to keep people away. Used in conjunction with dashcams, a very cool solution.

Good luck and hope you win out.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ravendale

We have reolink on higher walls, and ring with alerts and recorded footage at the gate. Really worth the price, prace of mind.

Advertisement