Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing immersion in a combination water cylinder?

Options
  • 17-04-2021 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Need to replace blown immersion (bottom one) in a combination water tank in my apartment. Now the questions I have is: should I drain just the hot storage bit, or the entire tank (both hot and cold water)?

My logic behind this question is that I’m afraid that the weight of a much larger cold water part may damage lower (hot) but when that’s empty?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I haven't had any issues myself when just emptying the hot section only to change those immersions.
    Remember, by turning off the water and running the taps until they stop is NOT emptying the tank!
    You must drain it from the small drain point at the bottom of the hot water tank.
    And if using a hose it must always fall down away and be lower than the lowest heating element and it's not a given that it will still be completely empty, hence why it's always best to have a wet vac sitting beside you when cracking the bottom one open.
    I personally have a pumping rig to get the water out, but they can still be a pain when the drain valve won't open fully and barely a trickle gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

THank you, most appreciated.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If it were me, I think I'd replace both while it's drained down.

Advertisement