Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs on bike delivery from merlincycles

Options
  • 16-04-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have my eyes on a bike sold by merlincycles.com but it looks like I can't get it delivered to Ireland.

My brother lives in London so I was thinking I could get the bike delivered to him then work out how to ship it to Dublin

What would this cost in terms of customs? From a look online I see 12%!? For the bike I'm interested in that would be around €500 on customs! Is this the only option?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

conor_ob wrote: »
    What would this cost in terms of customs? From a look online I see 12%!? For the bike I'm interested in that would be around €500 on customs! Is this the only option?
    you'd have to pay VAT too.
    take the price you pay for the bike, add 12% for customs, and then add 23% for VAT.
    and this doesn't include the cost of shipping, which is an intrinsic value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

e.g. if the bike is €2000 and you spend €100 in transport charges, €2100 is the value of the bike for calculating customs fees. so they'd charge €252. bringing the cost of the bike ex. vat in ireland to €2,352.
    then you'd pay 23% vat on this, 23%, which would be €541. so the bike, fully paid up, would cost you €2,893.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 conor_ob

e.g. if the bike is €2000 and you spend €100 in transport charges, €2100 is the value of the bike for calculating customs fees. so they'd charge €252. bringing the cost of the bike ex. vat in ireland to €2,352.
    then you'd pay 23% vat on this, 23%, which would be €541. so the bike, fully paid up, would cost you €2,893.

Wow.. that puts a swift end to my plan. Thanks for the example though. Customs + VAT would be well over €1500 in my case. This is the first time I'm feeling the effects of Brexit and it hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Unless your brother brings the bike home in a bike bag on a flight or by ferry the next time he comes home. I bought a mtb since Xmas for one of my kids and got it shipped to the north and collected from a relative in the north. I wasn’t r trying to avoid customs it was more because I could not get a bike in the anywhere in the south . I did not get any extra charges.
    Wow.. that puts a swift end to my plan. Thanks for the example though. Customs + VAT would be well over €1500 in my case. This is the first time I'm feeling the effects of Brexit and it hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

There are lots of good European retailers that are more competitive than UK retailers and are pretty quick. I have also noticed the prices have risen substantially in the UK since Xmas. I have used alltricks, bike discount, bike 24 and Deporvillage to name a few. Again was trying to buy using bike to work for over 12 months and no stock anywhere in Ireland.

quote="conor_ob;116914800"]I have my eyes on a bike sold by merlincycles.com but it looks like I can't get it delivered to Ireland.

My brother lives in London so I was thinking I could get the bike delivered to him then work out how to ship it to Dublin

What would this cost in terms of customs? From a look online I see 12%!? For the bike I'm interested in that would be around €500 on customs! Is this the only option?[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I have my eyes on a bike sold by merlincycles.com but it looks like I can't get it delivered to Ireland.

What is the bike you’re interested in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bluejohn1

I just got tiagra shifters delivered by Merincycles and didnt pay any customs or vat. Total was 198. Maybe I’m under a threshold. But the site did have a banner stating no extra vat or customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

It depends where the bike was "made"
    If a bicycle is being sold as "made in the UK", defined as having at least 70% British materials and parts, then it can be sold into the EU without additional import duty charges, under the "rules of origin" in the Brexit deal. I'd assume the same applies to a "made in the EU" bike, being exported from the UK.

https://road.cc/content/feature/brexit-and-uk-bike-industry-279905

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think this post may have gone a bit unnoticed but in case anyone is thinking of ordering from Merlin then VAT is already covered by Merlin Cycles:
    Bluejohn1 wrote: »
    But the site did have a banner stating no extra vat or customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Get the bike to Holyhead and travel back over with it as a foot passenger

No tax or import fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Bluejohn1 wrote: »
    I just got tiagra shifters delivered by Merincycles and didnt pay any customs or vat. Total was 198. Maybe I’m under a threshold. But the site did have a banner stating no extra vat or customs.

At 198 for Tiagra shifters I would think the charges were built in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Are you paying UK VAT on the bike as well or do most retailers take that off for EU customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's a legal requirement to remove VAT if you are selling for export outside your homogenised tax region, there's no grey area for businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I came across doing this my own research. I thought I would share this.

Also customer care relayed the same via email.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure on Merlin's rules but a sail and rail from Rosslare (or Dublin) to London and back will be less than 100euro. You also get to have a cuppa tea with your brother.

I think it was someone else's brother who started the thread :D I can't actually check out now 50 minutes later.

Says the bike cannot be shipped to Ireland...

It is showing 60 euro to get it shipped.

91 quid for the ferry alone. Not counting diesel cost and train cost.

It's more economical to ship it. Not counting the lost day of travel, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had presumed the cost of shipping was included regardless. Had a quick look at their site, and you are 100% right:

Ireland:Free shipping is available depending on goods ordered and order value. Shipping costs will be advised at the basket/checkout.

Shipping on wheels and bikes varies depending on value.

Currency: Select Euros (€) to be charged in Euros – Prices include VAT.

Please note: We now ship via UPS. Customs/Import duty is included.

So there are no customs on top of what you pay at the till, seems the easiest option.

Advertisement