Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural red hair fading

Options
  • 16-04-2021 8:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have natural red hair, and unfortunately as I am now in my 40's, my colour has faded and is a lot lighter than it used to be (bordering on going grey...but apparently us redheads go white?)

Anyway, has anyone used any shampoo or hair products to help maybe enhance the colour or slow down the fading? I haven't had to dye my hair, yet, apart from some dodgy highlights in my 20's!

I will have a chat with my hairdresser when she is finally able to return to work, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone has any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There isn't really anything that can SLOW fading or prevent greying. Its just genetics.

You could try a box color from the chemist. Those shampoos etc ...either will do nothing ...or there is a colour in them and that's all.

Obv if you have a normally healthy diet etc that is all you can do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had dyed red hair in the past and used a variety of colour-depositing shampoos to keep it bright. If you search my posts, I've posted about it several times in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Revlons colour bomb is a coloured conditioner and would boost your hair for a few washes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Revlons colour bomb is a coloured conditioner and would boost your hair for a few washes.

Colour bomb only works on dyed hair, won't work on virgin unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

GingerLily wrote: »
    Colour bomb only works on dyed hair, won't work on virgin unfortunately

I don’t see why it won’t enhance her natural colour. It’s basically just a conditioner with some direct dye colour in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    I don’t see why it won’t enhance her natural colour. It’s basically just a conditioner with some direct dye colour in it.

I believe the colour bomb stains the dye already on your hair. It's never enhanced my roots/re growth when I've used it between dying my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The only thing i know that prematurely grays hair ..is well smoking ...weed or normal cigarettes ..its also linked to hair loss.

So if you smoke you could quit.
    Otherwise just healthy living etc.

I think hairdressers open after may 10th ...which is about a week away so if you book now. I cant wait to get my hair cut finally!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The only thing i know that prematurely grays hair ..is well smoking ...weed or normal cigarettes ..its also linked to hair loss.

So if you smoke you could quit.
    Otherwise just healthy living etc.

I think hairdressers open after may 10th ...which is about a week away so if you book now. I cant wait to get my hair cut finally!

I don't smoke! I have my appointment made so only 2 weeks now to wait! I'm 44, so I don't think I can link it to premature greying! I don't have greys, but generally red hair tends to just fade rather than go grey here and there. I may have to start putting some sort of colour in soon, but hopefully my hairdresser won't feel the need to just yet and have some advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Starting to go grey in your 40's is pretty standard, hardly premature! I have very dark hair and started going grey as a teenager, never smoked either!

Might need to go down the colouring root if you want to keep your old colour OP, sucks i know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Starting to go grey in your 40's is pretty standard, hardly premature! I have very dark hair and started going grey as a teenager, never smoked either!

Might need to go down the colouring root if you want to keep your old colour OP, sucks i know.

I am lucky it hasn't gone grey properly yet seeing as I am 44, its just not very vibrant anymore. My hair appointments are going to start getting very expensive :(

Advertisement