Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Replacement for automatic Golf

  • 16-04-2021 6:10pm
    #1
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    My 16 year old Golf has finally given up the ghost, and I'm looking to replace it with another automatic. When I bought it a lot of people told me that the VW DSG gearbox was nicer to drive, and while I don't have anything else to compare it to, it's always been smooth and responsive and never caused me any problems.

    I'm sure things have moved on a bit since I bought it (bought it when it was 2 years old), so what I was wondering is are there any other brands with DSG or comparable gearboxes worth considering, or should I stick to VW group cars? Equally importantly, anything I should avoid like the plague? Budget is absolute max 19k, can't really stretch beyond that, and ideally I'm looking for a hatchback rather than a saloon. Thanks.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 50,139 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    Are you going with petrol or diesel? If you are staying/going with petrol then 19k would probably just about get you into a 2019 current generation Toyota Corolla hybrid if you want alternatives. However they have a CVT gearbox rather than a traditional automatic so they have a characteristic whine that someone used to a smooth DSG may not be happy with. Still worth taking one for a spin though to try it out.

    The obvious choice would be to go with another VAG car with DSG such as another Golf or the Audi A3, Seat Leon or Skoda Octavia. Ones to avoid would be Ford's Powershift gearbox in the likes of the Focus, they are a troublesome gearbox and are not cheap to put right when they eventually break.

    Some examples to look at:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2654862
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2804712

    If you have the ability to charge the car at home overnight then maybe a full electric Nissan Leaf is an option:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2753171


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭ 0lddog


    bazz26 wrote: »
    ...
    If you have the ability to charge the car at home overnight then maybe a full electric Nissan Leaf is an option:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2753171

    or

    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-2017/27592768

    ( of course 'leccy option to a certain extent will depend on your range requirement )


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    Thanks guys. Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm looking for petrol. Don't do enough long mileage for a diesel, but do need to do maybe 6-8 trips to Cork during the year (or I will when it's allowed) and I have zero interest in having to work out stops to recharge along the way. If it wasn't for those trips, electric probably would suit most of my driving otherwise.


  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭ forestgirl


    Would you consider the vw polo you would get at 192 for 19k approximately.
    They are as big as the golf you have if not bigger, I am really impressed with them they are a lovely car


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    forestgirl wrote: »
    Would you consider the vw polo you would get at 192 for 19k approximately.
    They are as big as the golf you have if not bigger, I am really impressed with them they are a lovely car

    I'm open to anything really. As much as anything I'm trying to find out if there are other car makes with automatics comparable to the VW DSG box, or whether it's best to stick with a VW Group brand. For example I've seen a couple of Volvo V40s online, but I don't know if Volvo automatics are really good or if they're a piece of crap that will give me years of trouble.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭ kerten


    If you are planning to drive the car long years like current one, I suggest avoiding dual clutch auto gearboxes(dsg, edc, powershift, dct) as they are complex and not the most problem free technology when they got worn.

    Toyota hybrids are proven reliable engine gearbox combo but they are cvt boxes.
    Psa group uses torque convertor auto boxes but long term overall reliability is still unknown even they seemed to improve a lot
    New focus and astra uses torque convertor auto boxes.

    I would aim for a new generation corolla hb if rear seats are not needed all the time or a chr.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,139 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    Zaph wrote: »
    I'm open to anything really. As much as anything I'm trying to find out if there are other car makes with automatics comparable to the VW DSG box, or whether it's best to stick with a VW Group brand. For example I've seen a couple of Volvo V40s online, but I don't know if Volvo automatics are really good or if they're a piece of crap that will give me years of trouble.

    The Volvo V40 was based on the Mk3 Ford Focus, it also shared alot of oily bits included the dreaded Powershift automatic box. I'd avoid it because of that.

    Very few cars in that size were sold with a proper automatic gearbox, most would have used a CVT gearbox as it is cheaper to produce and tends to suit hybrids. Renault had a DSG type automatic gearbox in their Megane but they are rare as hen's teeth in petrol here.

    But I would suggest test driving a few models with the CVT gearbox to see how you find it, you may like it and if so then it opens up more options from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    bazz26 wrote: »
    But I would suggest test driving a few models with the CVT gearbox to see how you find it, you may like it and if so then it opens up more options from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia.

    Yeah, I think it's definitely worth my while trying out a few different models. Not having anything to go on myself, is there much of a difference between cars with CVT vs DSG?


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,139 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    My experience of them is fairly limited but when I drove one it tended to whine a bit (which is normal for them) and just keeps the engine reving high all the time like as if you were riding a clutch pedal. A CVT doesn't have gears so it's a different feeling to a DSG that changes up and down gears quickly and smoothly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23


    New Golf on 0% Finance? Or else you should get into a Mk 7.5 DSG for that money


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    Gael23 wrote: »
    New Golf on 0% Finance? Or else you should get into a Mk 7.5 DSG for that money

    I'd love a new Golf, but I don't want to be paying back a loan, even at 0%.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,778 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    I would drive a few cars and see what you think. DSG is a nice gearbox but it’s not without its drawbacks in the form of extra maintenance and potential for large repair bills.
    Golf drivers usually really like them, and it’s hard to sway them to other brands, but even within the VW stable, have a look at the Seat Leon as well, it’s the same car as the Golf underneath but you’ll usually get more for your money.
    I’d also have a look at the Toyota Corolla hybrid and Toyota CH-R hybrid. These have proven drivetrains and would be far more likely to do long service without fault.

    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/corolla/fpa/202103310829332?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST&journey=FeaturedListing


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would drive a few cars and see what you think. DSG is a nice gearbox but it’s not without its drawbacks in the form of extra maintenance and potential for large repair bills.
    Golf drivers usually really like them, and it’s hard to sway them to other brands, but even within the VW stable, have a look at the Seat Leon as well, it’s the same car as the Golf underneath but you’ll usually get more for your money.
    I’d also have a look at the Toyota Corolla hybrid and Toyota CH-R hybrid. These have proven drivetrains and would be far more likely to do long service without fault.

    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/corolla/fpa/202103310829332?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST&journey=FeaturedListing

    Yeah, I like the look of the Leon. Not a huge number of them about in petrol automatic, but I'm not in any mad rush either, so I could wait a little while to see what comes up.

    Definitely won't be going for a CH-R though. My father in law got one recently and loves it, and to be fair it's nice inside. But I just can't get over how ugly the back of them is. I know I won't see it from the driver's seat, but I'll still know it's there. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,778 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Try the Corolla anyway, it’s a lot more conventional. You’d probably like it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23


    What spec in the CHR is the one to go for?


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,136 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try the Corolla anyway, it’s a lot more conventional. You’d probably like it!

    Yep, I'll definitely take a look at it. Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,778 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Gael23 wrote: »
    What spec in the CHR is the one to go for?

    Hybrid over the 1.2 turbo anyway. I see a lot of Luna Sports around so they’re probably the sweet spot of price vs equipment. The Sol is the one with all the extras.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭ Notch000


    i have a golf DSG and i test drove a Honda jazz a couple of years ago (for someone else)and it was absolutely woeful. the sales man sort of shrugged his shoulders and said thats CVT for you, its for people who don't car how a car drives.


Advertisement