Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My siblings sold house contents

Options
  • 16-04-2021 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. My brother, sister and myself are beneficiaries of my mother's estate. She passed away 18 months ago. The house is in the process of been sold. However, I just discovered that my brother and sister sold all house contents, which would amount to a significant amount. They are refusing to split proceeds 3 ways. They insist on keeping the proceeds themselves. We 3 are not close, never have been. Do I have any legal standing on this? The solicitor who takes care of my mother's estate says it is "a family matter".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who's the executor and what does the will say?

Was there ever any discussion over who actually owned the contents - i.e. was it established that everything belonged to your mother when she passed away, or did it belong to either of your siblings?

On the face of it if the will says that the estate should be split 3 ways, then the proceeds of the sale of any part of the estate - including house contents - should be divided 3 ways.

The solicitor saying it's a "family matter" suggests that there's more to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

HI Seamus,

All 3 of us are Executors. Yep, I agree with you that there is more to it. There generally is when it comes to my siblings. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You need independent legal advice. The solicitor cannot advise both sides of a conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,900 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What does the Will stipulate?

If it comes to it, you can hold up the sale of the house pending agreement on compensation from that sale for the share value of the contents. Have a Solicitor of your own inform them of this required satisfaction if they wish to finalise all matters and receive their share of the house itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

HMRC is quite specific about records that executors should be able to provide
    https://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-someone-who-died/records
    Records
    You must keep certain records after you value an estate.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) can ask to see your records up to 20 years after Inheritance Tax is paid.

You must keep copies of any:
    will
    copies of signed Inheritance Tax forms and supporting documents
    records showing how you worked out the value of assets in the estate, for example an estate agent’s valuation
    documents showing any unused Inheritance Tax threshold that can be transferred to a surviving spouse or civil partner
    final accounts
    Final accounts
    Include any documents showing how you distributed money, property or personal belongings from the estate, for example:
    letters from HMRC confirming that you paid Inheritance Tax
    receipts showing debts paid, for example utilities bills
    receipts for your expenses from dealing with the estate
    written confirmation that ‘beneficiaries’ (anyone who inherited) received their share of the estate
    Send copies of the final accounts to all beneficiaries.

But is there a possibility that the proceeds are being kept in escrow until the sale of the house and then you get 33.3% of the total left after HMRC's bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Spook_ie wrote: »
    HMRC is quite specific about records that executors should be able to provide
    https://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-someone-who-died/records

But is there a possibility that the proceeds are being kept in escrow until the sale of the house and then you get 33.3% of the total left after HMRC's bit
    What is the equivalent from the Irish revenue commission?

Advertisement