Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cracked or scratched face, how to tell?

• 16-04-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Not really sure if this thread belongs here as my query is specifically related to a smart watch, but anyway, here goes.

Does anyone know how to tell if a watch face has been cracked or if it's merely scraped?
    My watch has a lovely line going from 6 o'clock up to say 10 o'clock, fairly straight, I cannot feel it as a crack using my fingernails, and so think it might only be scratched (fingers crossed)
    Does anyone here have any sure way to find out for definite, and If it's just a scratch, anyone any tips to remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

If it is a light scratch then can be easily removed.
    There are solutions out there that you can buy but the old toothpaste method can be a good one. Google it.
    I use a solution called polywatch which is great stuff.
    Always check that whatever solution you use will work with your crystal type.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If it's an acrylic IE plastic crystal then things like polywatch will work, but all the smart watches I've seen had some sort of glass material and polywatch won't work. There are other pastes that can polish glass, but they're nasty to work with and take ages to polish even very light scratches. Generally you have to polish by hand too as using a buffer like say a Dremel will usually result in putting too much heat into the glass which can cause a crack.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If it's a smart watch there might be a protective screen type glass you can put over the glass to protect it, this can also hide scratches
    Something like
    https://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-watch-series/products/galaxy-watch-3-45mm-screen-protector-glas-tr-slim?variant=32488027357231

I've never used them for a watch but have used them on phones with cracks in the past and they're great.

Advertisement