Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for geraniums

Options
  • 16-04-2021 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭

We moved into a house recently and some of the flowerbeds are full of geraniums. Mainly crane bill. Other plants are suffering as a result as they are being smothered. Not being fans of geraniums anyway, we started digging them up, being careful to get the roots.

So my question is, what is good to replace them with that will flower around the same time? Looking for a perennial that will grow about 1-1.5 metres up and out. The soil is sandy and the garden is south facing.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Nepeta Walkers low could be good for the job. Currently my fav plant (although this changes intra day!) In good soil it will get to 1m height and spread.
    It flowers June-Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I don’t think walkers low gets that high? It might be six hills giant I have a feeling that’s a bigger version. Almost impossible to source this year! A lot of my mint died back this year winter for some odd reason so I’ve been looking to replace it.

A tip with mint, buy half the amount you need and split in 2, double your stock for half the price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

If the area is a bit shady ajuga is a good carpet like spreader but it doesn’t grow tall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thank you for the suggestions. There seems to be a short supply of many plants at the moment. I went for the following:
    Aquilegia Red Yellow
    Euonymus alatus Burning Bush
    Sedum spathulifolium Cape Blanco
    Hemerocallis Desert Icicle
    Lupine Blue

Looking forward to the colours.

Advertisement