Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance named driver licence

Options
  • 15-04-2021 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I just found out that one of the named driver's on my insurance license has expired.

She has not driven the car since expiry, she is trying to get it renewed, but is struggling with that due to covid pandemic.

She is not going to drive the car until she has a new license.

My question is, does this invalidate my insurance in anyway? She is not driving the car.
    Do I need to remove her from my insurance?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

GythHN wrote: »
    ....My question is, does this invalidate my insurance in anyway? She is not driving the car.
    Do I need to remove her from my insurance?

Thank you
    No and no.

There's a huge difference between driving without a licence and driving with an expired licence. When you hear about people convicted of driving without a licence, it is because they never had a licence for the category of vehicle being driven or driving after being banned from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

No and no.

There's a huge difference between driving without a licence and driving with an expired licence. When you hear about people convicted of driving without a licence, it is because they never had a licence for the category of vehicle being driven or driving after being banned from driving.

As true as this is, please don't let anyone drive with an expired licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No and no.

+1 A named driver will still be covered to drive. But see my next post below, all licences have been extended as the NDLS is not processing renewals.
    There's a huge difference between driving without a licence and driving with an expired licence.

If by 'driving without a licence', you mean someone who never held a licence, that statement is only true in the context of insurance.

If you borrow a car and are relying on the owner's open driving cover, you must either hold a current licence or have held a licence at some point in the past and not be disqualified. So if you had a licence which expired yesterday or two years ago, you will still be insured. But you will be liable to prosecution for driving without a licence. Not for driving with an expired licence because there is no such offence, it's driving without a licence.
    When you hear about people convicted of driving without a licence, it is because they never had a licence for the category of vehicle being driven or driving after being banned from driving.

That is simply not true. In the context of the requirement to hold a current licence to drive a vehicle, it is immaterial whether you never held a licence or your licence expired the day before.

If your licence expired the day before, you can plead that in mitigation but if your licence has expired, you are driving without a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GythHN wrote: »
    Hello,
    I just found out that one of the named driver's on my insurance license has expired.

If she checks at the NDLS website (link below), she will find that her licence has been extended by 12 months.

https://www.ndls.ie/expiry-calculator.html

For a named driver, her cover probably would not have been affected even if the licence expired.

Advertisement