Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New oil boiler

Options
  • 15-04-2021 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Currently looking at getting a new boiler and moving it outside. Was recommended the same plumber by a few different people and got a quote. He seemed really knowledgeable but the quote seemed high to me. It includes a new large radiator. Quote was over 7k. But then again I don’t really know what these things cost. Could someone advise if this is about right?
    The new oil condensing boiler will be moved outside but pretty much other side of the wall.
    -new oil filter
    -new remote fire valve for oil boiler
    -magnetic filter to protect the boiler
    -all pipe work and electrics for boiler
    -new circulating pump and valves a+rated pump
    -system will be flushed out using a magna cleanse to insure all sludge is taken out of all the rads and protected with inhibitor chemicals
    -trv valves fitted on 9 rads
    -all rads will be balanced
    -new eph timer and ember gate way for remote access controlling the boiler trough an app -all rubbish taken of site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

way over the top

get a few more quotes

what boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

I don't rate the EPH timer/gateway as a smart heating system.
    If you are going to the trouble of installing TRVs on radiators & new controls/thermostats, go for a better supported solution like Tado, Drayton Wiser or Honeywell evohome

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Wingding80

jimf wrote: »
    way over the top

get a few more quotes

what boiler

Grant vortex modual model. TBH we have tried getting a few plumbers out to quote.. no one even seems to get back to us.. but will try again. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Wingding80

ongarite wrote: »
    I don't rate the EPH timer/gateway as a smart heating system.
    If you are going to the trouble of installing TRVs on radiators & new controls/thermostats, go for a better supported solution like Tado, Drayton Wiser or Honeywell evohome

That’s gone way over my head!! 🤣 I told him I wanted to be able to turn on the water without the heat, but the pipes aren’t split so that’s why the TRVs. I’ll look into those mentioned. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We recently had a similar job done:

- New external boiler (there wasn't one currently, so all pipework associated with it.
    - Zoned heating/water
    - New cylinder (wasn't planned, but had some pinhole leaks)
    - TRV's fitted to all radiators
    - Oil stove decommissioned and chimney blocked.
    - New large radiator in the kitchen as the old stove was coming out.
    - EPH controller and wall stat (replaced since with Drayton Wiser)

Came to just under 4k. Make sure to check out the SEAI grant for heating controls also. Took 1k off it for us as it was our 3rd grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Louisemurp

Bawnmore wrote: »
    We recently had a similar job done:

- New external boiler (there wasn't one currently, so all pipework associated with it.
    - Zoned heating/water
    - New cylinder (wasn't planned, but had some pinhole leaks)
    - TRV's fitted to all radiators
    - Oil stove decommissioned and chimney blocked.
    - New large radiator in the kitchen as the old stove was coming out.
    - EPH controller and wall stat (replaced since with Drayton Wiser)

Came to just under 4k. Make sure to check out the SEAI grant for heating controls also. Took 1k off it for us as it was our 3rd grant.

How do you find the Drayton system with the zoning? I wondered about that part with the smart trv's & 3 zones how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Louisemurp wrote: »
    How do you find the Drayton system with the zoning? I wondered about that part with the smart trv's & 3 zones how it works

Absolutely nothing wrong with EPH ember system. These smart thermostats are a complete waste of money and a totally unnecessary gimmick people think they need.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with EPH ember system. These smart thermostats are a complete waste of money and a totally unnecessary gimmick people think they need.

Nothing wrong with it at all but the design is just awful , dated back to the 1980's

Nothing wrong with it at all but the design is just awful , dated back to the 1980's

I disagree. Some people are sucked in by the fancy sales pitch with all the fancy bells, whistles and shiny bits I suppose.

I disagree. Some people are sucked in by the fancy sales pitch with all the fancy bells, whistles and shiny bits I suppose.

Not at all, just don't understand why in 2021 they can't have a better design is all. On the product itself I have asked so many friends & family that have EPH & they have either replaced it with another brand or still have it & want rid... most review I'm hearing is it's not user friendly.

Is it just the smart TRV's you don't believe is any good or the Drayton & Honeywell products etc themselves? We have decided to install Drayton Wiser with 3 way zoning & all manual TRV's

• Advertisement

From an installers point of view, which I am, EPH are probably the most user friendly of all, and the after sales service/tech dept is actually contactable snd a pleasure to deal with. Chances are your friends and family bought in to the hype and shiny bells

From an installers point of view, which I am, EPH are probably the most user friendly of all, and the after sales service/tech dept is actually contactable snd a pleasure to deal with. Chances are your friends and family bought in to the hype and shiny bells

Have you ever installed or had personal experience with Drayton or Honeywell?

Have you ever installed or had personal experience with Drayton or Honeywell?

Yes. Plenty. I rather simplicity and reliability over anything. EPH dont give me trouble, and when they rarely do, there’s a 5 year warranty that usually covers the headache.
    I recently bought an electronic toothbrush. It has a Bluetooth feature. Bells and whistles. Absolute useless nonsense.

Yes. Plenty. I rather simplicity and reliability over anything. EPH dont give me trouble, and when they rarely do, there’s a 5 year warranty that usually covers the headache.
    I recently bought an electronic toothbrush. It has a Bluetooth feature. Bells and whistles. Absolute useless nonsense.

I presume you mean installed for others... were they happy? Came back complaining? I can understand a lot of people wanting simplicity in products but I'm personally happy to take a chance on a more advanced product that won't hopefully let me down & keep me moving with the times down the years... I've young kids under 4 so ideally zoning each room would work far better for us

I presume you mean installed for others... were they happy? Came back complaining? I can understand a lot of people wanting simplicity in products but I'm personally happy to take a chance on a more advanced product that won't hopefully let me down & keep me moving with the times down the years... I've young kids under 4 so ideally zoning each room would work far better for us

Being a more ‘advanced’ product are the bells and whistles I’m talking about. Having bedroom A at 17 and bedroom B at 18 is nonsense. It’s not needed but it’s peddled to people that they do need this functionality, when in reality they don’t. But that’s the beauty of marketing and convincing people that shiny is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We've found it great so far (touch wood). There were plenty of others in the smart heating thread that had went with it and nothing but positive feedback, which helped us make our decision. We had the non Ember EPH system before that and it was fine - maybe a little dated aesthetically alright, but we didn't find it difficult to configure. Clunky for sure, but not difficult.

Advertisement