Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Have Blanche on ignore. It is funny that the Sindo/Indo, with its rabidly anti-SF obsession (as determined by DCU's FuJo investigation of media bias in the 2016 GE) is trying to talk up a 2% loss for SF in a poll which has a Margin of Error of 3% or so. The real story is the collapse, since the 2020 GE, of FF. SF's support in this small sample national opinion poll is twice that of FF. Under Martin, FF has lost its identity and has become more FG than the FGers. It could be heading for a Labour style catastrophe in the next GE if it doesn't get rid of Martin and start to put clear blue water between itself and FG/Greens.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Never mind he didn't declare it, the fooker defaulted on mortgage repayments, but somehow managed to hold on it even though not primary residence.

Good old Ireland.

A fooking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I see he's resigned now.

Built a house valued at 700k back in his early thirties. Fecker is still only 44 now........!! No wonder he is out the gap quickly. He'll probably go back in as an independent in 2 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He only resigned as a minister of state for Enterprise and Employment (previous minister was Troy!). He'll stay a self serving Fine Gael TD. The long list of FFG corruption is extended.

I wonder did any of this come up in Leo's sham housing crisis 'summit'.

Thanks to FFG, SIPO remains toothless and never seems to find this dishonesty. Will we ever see the reform bill?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Was gonna ask is it at least decent place he had to resign over but valued at 700k, it must be pretty nice.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Bad day for FFG. First Troy falls and now English is out.

On The Ditch is showing the Dublin media how real journalism works.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was thinking that, why is it the ditch is getting these scoops? Surely you would expect something like RTE investigates to be going after things like this.

Are they doing excellent investigative work?

are they getting whistleblower information?

Are they getting the same info as the ‘dublin’ media but publishing it instead of ignoring it?

Whats so special about the ditch as opposed to the bigger, better resourced and longer established media in the country?

You should put your first question to Rory Coveney who is the director of strategy at RTE...

To be fair RTE Investigates have uncovered similar corruption several times in the past but they also showed how FFG have continually blocked reform in this area. I will do a longer post on that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You have to hand it to The Ditch. I still question how impartial they (whether they are going after any opposition parties now or would do if they were in power) but they are not just being anti establishment cranks for the sake of it, they're doing proper investigative journalism.

Also, it seems being a minister/junior minister gives you 1 get out of jail free card. If there is a scandal you can resign and go back to being a td and everyone can say you took your punishment. If Damien English (or Robert troy for that matter) wasn't a minister what would the medicine have been I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Yeah, I'm really not sure about their integrity. Looks good so far but let's see how long they last. I'm skeptical of any organization back by Paddy Cosgrave. Especially, two journalist who call themselves "avid lefties". I like my journalists a bit more impartial and a bit less, "chip on the shoulder".

Also, and call me crazy and all that, but is that not a seriously minor misdemeanor to cause a resignation? I mean, not declaring that he owned his family home when apply to build a house in the countryside? Our politicians are becoming very clean if this is the standard!

• Advertisement

What would happen a joe soap if they received planning permission after making omissions on their application?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Our media establishment (IT, Indo, RTE) is already extremely partial towards the politicians. One website is not even close to countering that and so we're a long way from needing to worry about The Ditch's impartiality. Remember how anxious the politicians and media were to praise us all for being so "trusting" during Covid, LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Is it not the case that he obtained planning permission to build a second home by providing false information. If he had provided correct information his application would probably have been rejected.

I would be interested to see how much the various media in ireland get from the government both directly through advertising and indirectly through PR companies, the government has a massive spend and media need every penny they can get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

Not "probably", it 100% would have. The only reason his application was accepted was because he said he didn't own any other property at the time - it was a scheme designed to help people with no other homes build their own. He knew well what he was doing lying to get approval.

If a normal person lies to the government on their tax forms there is hell to pay. He deserves to lose his seat as a TD over this, its fraud plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Yes, that's correct. And I'm sure it wasn't "just an honest mistake" - he knew what he was doing. I'm just saying, it's pretty low on the all-time political scandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a Fine Gael supporter and this seems to me like straight up deception.

If it was in my area of responsibility, I'd push to deselect him.

That isn't likely though so unless he retires, it'll be up to the voters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Probably nothing, potentially have to destroy the property but seems unlikely for a house.

Joe soaps are constantly building things with no planning permission full stop and then trying to get retroactive permission.

So there isn't some conspiracy behind it if nothing legally happens to him.

That being said, it seems pretty indefensible for a politician.

The Fine Gael national executive de-selected Maria Bailey prior to the 2020 GE. She also lost the whip before that and was removed as chair of a lucrative housing committee (10k per annum if I remember correctly).

English got away lightly.

New Politics FG style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He apparently submitted 5 years worth of documents along with the application (bills etc) proving he lived with his parents

• Advertisement

By retroactive do you mean retention for small stuff like velux windows and porches?

I know where was a something associated with the mansfields in citywest that was to be taken down, but that was big building.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How the **** does a TD of 20 goddamn years fall behind on mortgage repayments?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People have demolished and built entire structures without planning permission and tried to get retroactive permission.

It sometimes backfires spectacularly of course (Archers Garage being one of the more famous examples).

If the suggestion is that were he not a politician he would face serious consequences for this, then I don't really think that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Two caught, I wonder just how many more there are that we don’t know about ………..yet.

Im sure it would be easy to find a case of someone who has been found put in similar circumstances.

Maybe the lesson here is that people should have to submit a tax clearance / compliance cert when applying for planning that would require their tax affairs like LpT to be up to date.

Fine Gael New Politics document 2011

"The Planning Process Must be Overhauled"

"We are all paying in some shape or form for this failed planning system."

"What needs to be overhauled is the planning system so it becomes a ‘plan-led’ system rather than ‘developer-led’"

"We need to restore vision, purpose and imagination to our planning process and to build a new future based on fairness and the needs of local communities."

"The final cost of the Mahon (planning matters and payments), Moriarty (payments to politicians) and Morris (Garda corruption) tribunals could be more than €370m."

-------------------

This is exactly why these dishonest shysters lost my vote. It must take fair blinkers to continue voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭howiya

By choice I'd imagine. A case of won't pay rather than can't pay.

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more reference to this in the media.

For years we've been told Ireland has higher than average EU mortgage rates because of defaulters like this and the lack of repossessions. According to FG its just welfare cheats that cheat us all.

Prime Time covering it now.

His planning application is void now but nothing will be done.

He repeatedly failed to declare. Repeated lies.

I feel there is more to come with this story.

Nobody available from government to answer questions about this. All busy in mid January.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CarProblem

No sign of the not FG supporters at all at all on here either

I laughed at this line in the Ditch article "Taoiseach Leo Varadkar did not respond when asked whether he thinks it’s acceptable to lie on planning permission applications"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭howiya

Interesting commentary from Leo today.

""I often hear people say that nobody in Ireland ever resigns. We have had four resignations and ministers have been held to account"...

One of those ministers has since been reappointed. Is that holding someone to account?

Leo also doesn't think that English should resign as a TD even though he has clearly breached the code of conduct for members of Dáil Éireann.

Advertisement