Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supply query

Options
  • 15-04-2021 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Ive just moved into a bungalow built in the 1970s and there are several issues regarding the electrical layout. Its been modified and changed over the years by the previous owners and as such I am getting a qualified electrician to carry out a rewire.

The main supply to the esb meter looks pretty light by modern standards. The house is in a rural location, the supply cable literally comes out the ground and into the bottom of the meter (1976 meter) box. There are several poles around the property but I haven't a clue which one it is fed from (not that it matters as such)

Do I simply contact ESB networks over my concerns and get them to inspect or is there another process I need to follow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Ive just moved into a bungalow built in the 1970s and there are several issues regarding the electrical layout. Its been modified and changed over the years by the previous owners and as such I am getting a qualified electrician to carry out a rewire.

The main supply to the esb meter looks pretty light by modern standards. The house is in a rural location, the supply cable literally comes out the ground and into the bottom of the meter (1976 meter) box. There are several poles around the property but I haven't a clue which one it is fed from (not that it matters as such)

Do I simply contact ESB networks over my concerns and get them to inspect or is there another process I need to follow?

When your electrician completes the rewire he will submit a certificate that’s forwarded to Esbn to increase main tails between meter and distribution board (Esbn charge €180 for this). They may upgrade their service and metering during this process if required

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

How about from the incoming fuse back to the pole, Im pretty sure its sufficient but given how much Im finding wrong with the house nothing will surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

mikerd4 wrote: »
    How about from the incoming fuse back to the pole, Im pretty sure its sufficient but given how much Im finding wrong with the house nothing will surprise me

That’s esbn responsibility. They’ll check and upgrade if necessary when upgrading tails when certified

Advertisement