Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Boiler - Plumber says can't be serviced

Options
  • 15-04-2021 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi All,

Perhaps someone can offer a second opinion. I bought a house recently and it has an old back boiler. I had a plumber come out to service it and without looking at it says it would fail on emissions or efficiency (can't quite remember) and I would have to stop using it based on his report. Then proceeded to give me a juicy quote for a new boiler.

I know these are old boilers and not that efficient, but I don't use it much and was hoping to get some more time out of it before replacing it. Does the above sound correct? Can back boilers not be serviced anymore without failing some regulations? I heard they do last a long time.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

other than cleaning there is no service that i am aware of and cleaning the chimney

unless he saw something to be concerned about in the flue liners etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

Assuming its the solid fuel back boiler and not a gas fired back boiler with a gas fire in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

John.G wrote: »
    Assuming its the solid fuel back boiler and not a gas fired back boiler with a gas fire in the front.

how right john

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Good call. It is a gas back boiler with a gas fire in the front. He didn't look at it at all up close, just glanced at it and said it is not serviceable and I should get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Good call. It is a gas back boiler with a gas fire in the front. He didn't look at it at all up close, just glanced at it and said it is not serviceable and I should get a new one.

He was probably right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Presumably its obsolete and parts are not available, had the same with a baxi bermuda years ago.

Advertisement