Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tag "Alarm Clock"

Options
  • 15-04-2021 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.....so i have a slight itch at the moment for an older tag F1 (you know, the ones with the prominent bezel and querky face colours) so i had a search on adverts to see what was about and what they go for......in searching i came across an old Tag F1 helmet alarm clock.

To my amazement the seller is looking for 500 odd for it....now here's the thing, I actually have one of them from years ago. No idea where i got it and how much it cost (it wouldn't have been much) but i think it would have been out of production a while when i picked it up in some random shop. Just liked F1 at the time and Senna/Prost, tag marking were cool, etc.....I never thought it was an actual tag product as its quite cheap and flimsy (some will say that it could only be a Tag in that case:pac:).....i remember i came across mine at my parents house in the last few years and the hand had fallen off but i got it up and running again.....

So my question is, how on earth could they be worth that much? Does anyone know any background or history to it....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Heuer and TAG Heuer stuff is very collectible, especially if it has motorsport connections, though some prices have dropped in the last while. A few years back those Helmet clocks could go for closer to 1000.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Much like anything watch related, if it has a following, if it's quirky or if the person selling it has notions ;)
    It will have a value.

The Tag helmet clocks are at a very cool crossover point between Watches, F1 and advertising they tick a lot of boxes for even non watch interested folk IMO.

The value of anything is always dependant upon what someone is willing to pay, rather than what the seller asks for.
    In that regard, from the quick look at some sites this morning €500 isn't exorbitant but it's the @asking price across the board.
    Id be curious to see sales prices, because even on Chrono24 they are showing at 500 and my rule of thumb there is always -20% for anything not Rolex or PP.

Congrats on your piece, if you are into f1 it's a great thing to own IMO.
    Hope you find a nice tag wrist watch to go with it and hopefully someone will have more info on the history of those clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

If it’s on adverts I think it’s been up there for a few years at this point. So clearly not worth it or or would have sold.

https://www.adverts.ie/13336071

Half his images are trying to show its expensive and collectible. Reality is, it probably aint or it would be snapped up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah tiny market for them here and values have softened for them anyway. The adverts chap is right in saying 600+ was a price point for them, but if you look at completed ebay auctions 3-400 quid is more in play these days, unless they're very rare types or signed by the racing drivers themselves. Even then I saw one of the latter go for 900. They may have been an "investment" ten years ago, today, not so much.

Actually I've noticed values have softened on vintage Heuer watches full stop and that likely has affected stuff like their promotional alarm clocks. They reached a peak a few years back when the market was buoyant, but lately prices in ebay auctions are well below before, or dealers have them at those previous high values and they're quite simply not selling. You can see similar with Panerai and IWC values. As ever very rare models still hold some premium and outlets like hodinkee can still flog them on the back of their "brand", but the general stuff in the real world not nearly so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement