Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler not heating water cylinder

Options
  • 14-04-2021 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

My Ideal gas boiler is 3 years old. When it was installed, the hot water cylinder was also replaced. Today the heating is working as normal but the cylinder is cold.

Any suggestions as to potential problems/fixes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

Is the system zoned, ie have you separate motorized valves for CH and HW?.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

No, it is not zoned. There is a room thermostat on the landing I am not sure if that could be relevant.

The cylinder will then only heat while the room stat is actually calling for heat as the stat will start/stop the boiler, are the cylinder coil flow and returns hot while the boiler is actually firing?

As you can probably tell I am a bit clueless here. Thanks for your help.

There is a cold pipe connected to the bottom of the cylinder. About halfway up the side, there is a pipe that is hot. At the very top, there is a pipe that is SLIGHTLY warm. Usually, our water is very hot.

The red arrow is pointing to a automatic air release valve (AAV), there should be a a small cap on this like a car valve dust cap, unscrew this and remove it and see if any air comes out with boiler in service, when/if water comes out, put the cap back on.
    Can you take a photo looking from the right onto all that cylinder pipework.

• Advertisement

Thanks I will try this later.

Also have a look (or photo) of the valve marked in red a bit further down. it looks like a lever type ball valve with lever removed and looks as if its partially open/closed, a 1/4 turn clockwise is fully closed a 1/4 turn anticlockwise is fully opened. Suggest fully opening it and then later close it in a bit as this acts as a balancing valve to stop the cylinder coil robbing all the circulating hot water from the rads.

Advertisement