Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curries

Options
  • 14-04-2021 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭

Well,I made my first curry from a Gordon Rhodes packet that I got in the Butcher's.

It is full of spices such as cinnamon,cumin,turmeric,chilli,paprika,ginger etc etc.

It was Moroccan style Lamb Tagine and involved slow cooking the stewing lamb with an addition of onions ,tomatoes and apricots (I substituted sultanas)

Quite pleased with the meal and wonder what I could do next.

Is this a template I can just tweak for the foreseeable future?

Are there lots of these packets that would work with different meats or fish?

Seems a bit easier than starting from scratch as I have never had much success with curries in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i wouldnt call that a curry myself personally, go to asian shop,get some thai red/green/yellow pastes, some massaman,panang,rendang pastes..tins of coconut milk,coconut oil..some chillies if you ;like heat...very simple to follow instructions..id recomend mae ploy brand paste anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭amandstu

i wouldnt call that a curry myself personally, go to asian shop,get some thai red/green/yellow pastes, some massaman,panang,rendang pastes..tins of coconut milk,coconut oil..some chillies if you ;like heat...very simple to follow instructions..id recomend mae ploy brand paste anyway.
    Thanks.I don't have to worry about buying and mixing my own spices then ,if I don't have a flair for this kind of cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

amandstu wrote: »
    Thanks.I don't have to worry about buying and mixing my own spices then ,if I don't have a flair for this kind of cooking?

You could do all that if you really wanted to,but no real need.. making Indian curries can be done in same method as I mentioned.. have fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

*I've moved this into the main Food forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

Op if you liked it you can just tweak it with different spices to vary it. I make both curries from pastes and from scratch for the visitors if we ever get any back! You can find easy recipes for Indian or Chinese curries from scratch and using pastes online that are fairly foolproof. Good luck with your next one!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This makes a very decent Thai curry. There's an extremely simple recipe on the pot to follow, which I do with a few alterations...

Fry 28g of paste in some oil (I use peanut), the recipe says to use 50g but I did that the first time and it blew my head off. Add half a tin of coconut milk, fry the chicken in the sauce for 5 mins. Add the veg, top up remaining coconut milk with 100ml of water and add this. Add 3 tbsp fish sauce and 3tsp sugar. Fry til the veg is cooked to your liking.

That's it, should make enough sauce for three portions. You can adjust the portions of curry paste, fish sauce and sugar to your liking but the above is what I've found works best for me.

Actually one more slight alteration I forgot, I crush a decent sized clove of garlic up and fry it with the paste at the start. There's garlic in the paste already but I prefer a bit more myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Have fun with it, OP.

Curry isn't really a food in India. The closest thing it translates to gravy. So of you look at it like that then you see that a curry is a delicious gravy or sauce that goes with some veg, meat, fish, rice, noodles or whatever. The basic spices are delicious so it's very hard to make such a balls of it that you wouldn't still find it tasty.

You might add too much paste one time and it turns out too overpowering and a bit bitter. Or you might add too little paste so it ends up a bit bland, but it'll still probably be pretty tasty and you'll have an idea of what to do better next time.

Patak make a range of curry pastes and they are pretty fool proof if you follow the instructions on the back. Then when you build up your skills you could branch out to making your own pastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

amandstu wrote: »
    Well,I made my first curry from a Gordon Rhodes packet that I got in the Butcher's.

It is full of spices such as cinnamon,cumin,turmeric,chilli,paprika,ginger etc etc.

It was Moroccan style Lamb Tagine and involved slow cooking the stewing lamb with an addition of onions ,tomatoes and apricots (I substituted sultanas)

Quite pleased with the meal and wonder what I could do next.

Is this a template I can just tweak for the foreseeable future?

Are there lots of these packets that would work with different meats or fish?

Seems a bit easier than starting from scratch as I have never had much success with curries in the past.

I recently slow cooked hanger steaks, it pulled apart and resembled the meat in a burrito, lovely on Chibata with lettuce onion and chilli Mayo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I love Curry and I usually make them from scratch.
    But if you want to use a pre-made sauce, try the 'Deluxe' range in Lidl.
    Spice in the cap is used to marinate the meat.
    Then use the sauce to make the body of the curry.
    I'd actually rate this marginally above Pataks, which was my taste reference for a long time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Two large onions chopped roughly, about 10 cloves garlic chopped and a couple of inches of root ginger, all chopped and sautéed for about 10 / 15 minutes in cooking oil (just barely cover in oil) or simmered in water till soft.
    "Hand Blender" them in the oil or drain water and puree.

To this add your spices and cook for a few minutes to "activate" spices. oil is already present or in the case of the water version, add some oil then spices.

Add meat/veg or whatever.

It's very good to freeze in plastic cups or the like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement