Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Prepay Sim Security Query

Options
  • 14-04-2021 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to see what security measures Three had in place around their replacement sims. I put in a phony address and name and number on the order a replacement PAYG sim page, expecting them to tell me that they had no record of that name with that number, but instead they said, "Thanks. Your new sim will be dispatched shortly" or words to this effect.

So, my question is, what is there to stop a hacker ordering a sim of the number of an actual person and taking over that number, because I'd be a bit nervous if there is nothing. :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

briany wrote: »
    I wanted to see what security measures Three had in place around their replacement sims. I put in a phony address and name and number on the order a replacement PAYG sim page, expecting them to tell me that they had no record of that name with that number, but instead they said, "Thanks. Your new sim will be dispatched shortly" or words to this effect.

So, my question is, what is there to stop a hacker ordering a sim of the number of an actual person and taking over that number, because I'd be a bit nervous if there is nothing. :eek:

Well the sim will be unassigned so you really only need to confirm the ID checks at porting stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As Davy says, they just send a generic/vanilla sim with no assigned account.

Good on you checking though, its a huge attack surface in the US that the big MNOs repeatedly fail at.

Advertisement