Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy hedging

Options
  • 14-04-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Would anyone have a recommendation for hedging/plants for my situation?

Have a small garden which backs onto the local school sportgrounds. Currently there's just one of those green metal fences, and a very steep 30m drop and slope going from our perimeter down to the school.

The ground isn't perfectly flat and sinks a bit approaching the fence, however it was pretty much like this since we moved in 2 years ago so I don't think it's worsening. My gut feeling is digging trenches for planting trees and disturbing the earth might not be the best idea, but planting something would be my preferred option. Any recommendations on trees/hedging/plants? The perimeter would get a good bit of direct sunlight.

Neighbours have ivy/climbers growing on the metal fence directly, any caveats to this? I don't really like the look of the plastic/rattan privacy screens and would prefer something that lets a good bit of light through but gives a bit more privacy as at the moment our garden is quite exposed.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone have a recommendation for hedging/plants for my situation?

Have a small garden which backs onto the local school sportgrounds. Currently there's just one of those green metal fences, and a very steep 30m drop and slope going from our perimeter down to the school.

The ground isn't perfectly flat and sinks a bit approaching the fence, however it was pretty much like this since we moved in 2 years ago so I don't think it's worsening. My gut feeling is digging trenches for planting trees and disturbing the earth might not be the best idea, but planting something would be my preferred option. Any recommendations on trees/hedging/plants? The perimeter would get a good bit of direct sunlight.

Neighbours have ivy/climbers growing on the metal fence directly, any caveats to this? I don't really like the look of the plastic/rattan privacy screens and would prefer something that lets a good bit of light through but gives a bit more privacy as at the moment our garden is quite exposed.

TIA

Holly perhaps.

Advertisement