Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Shipment Seized by Trading Standards!!

Options
  • 14-04-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

This isn't related to me personally but I thought it might be worth re-posting here to highlight the potential problems that can arise from Chinese imports if one doesn't have everything in order.

https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/please-help-shipment-seized-by-trading-standards.412233/

It's what I would consider one hell of a good reason to use a shipping/sourcing agent with EU and/or UK ties as agents based solely in China may not necessarily be up to speed with safety regulations in the UK and Europe.

Sometimes, a Chinese manufacturer will highlight the breakdown of their worldwide exports so, for example, if a manufacturer on Alibaba is noted as having significant sales, with 10% of those to Western Europe, one might reasonably assume that they'll handle any certifications required for that region.

However, based upon my research, information on Alibaba, and similar sites, should be taken as a suggestion, at best, and you should make sure to carry out your own due-diligence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

With my business importing fitness equipment, the following appears to be the local guidelines I'd need to be looking at (pre-Brexit, all UK guidelines matched EU - though they may diverge in the future).

http://www.howardgdaviesassociates.co.uk/faqs

My first batch of deliveries all consist of Strength Training Products which appear to have no specific requirements, rather a suggestion for some self-certifications.

Should I move to importing Cardiovascular Equipment, I could run into the same trouble as the guy above if I don't ensure that my manufacturer complies with all regulations related to the CE mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

@FAAF you make some very valid points. Using a sourcing agent in China, especially when you are doing business for the first time in China has many advantages. Least of all the certification issues, but also things like quality control, factory inspection and pre-shipment inspection.
    Also, bear in mind, on the face of it your counterparts in China are proficient in English, but things do get lost in translation. Last, but not least, once the exporter realises he is dealing with somebody in China, who understands the business culture and speaks the language, AND (!) is on his doorstep (figuratively speaking) their attitude is very different then when they are dealing with somebody on the other side of the world.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement