Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propagators

Options
  • 13-04-2021 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hi

Never done this before, but this year decided to plant a few chilli seeds as I couldn't get the plants.

I bought a couple of unheated propagators and set them up on the kitchen windowsill which gets a lot of sun. They seem to collect a LOT of condensation, which I have to wipe away every day and have the vents fully open. I keep the plants moist all the time as well.

The seeds haven't germinated yet. So just wondered if I'm on the right track or if there's anything else I need to do?

TIA for any help/advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They take a couple of weeks to germinate, and while heat is usually suggested I have just been given a little pepper plant that was grown from a fresh pepper seed without heat, so they are not all that fussy. What you are doing seems to be fine, just patience.

I generally give the propagator lid a little tap so the water falls back on the compost, though this isn't totally reliable. I have noticed that the propagators I got this year (I've had to start again after moving house) are not nearly as efficient as older ones I have had - the condensation seems to be steered out of the lid and all over the window ledge. The old plastic bag held up with a couple of sticks did a much better job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Thank you very much for the encouragement. I've only been going for a week with these, so happy to hear it seems to be OK so far.

Before I got the propagators, I also planted some in little pots which are also on the windowsill, so hopefully they too will germinate but appreciate they may be a little slower.

Thanks again.

Advertisement