Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Year Old Escaping High Backed Booster

Options
  • 13-04-2021 6:11pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Title pretty much sums it up. So my daughter turned 3 in January and is very tall for her age. She's 106cm and 17.5kg so has outgrown her Maxicosi Axisfix plus.

I brought her to Tony Kealys to be measured/fitted for a new seat today and bought the Joie i-Traver, which uses the car seatbelt. I put her in and tightened the belt as tight as I could, however she managed to just slide sideways out of it as I drove home on the M50, which scared the absolute crap out of me. She still had the lap part of the belt on but had slid out of the diagonal bit and had it under her arm.

She has some language and speech issues and she doesn't understand how dangerous it is to take the belt off. She thought it was really funny.

Does anyone know of any device that could be used to stop her escaping the car seatbelt? Everything I can find all seems to be for 5 point harnesses, which wouldn't work for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

3 is very young to be in a high back booster. You could try a Joie Bold which is harnessed to 25kg. Available in Tony Kealy’s

https://tonykealys.com/collections/car-seat-9-months-4yrs/products/joie-bold-group-1-2-3-car-seat-ember?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLnq7N_77wIVme3tCh3v2w1EEAQYAyABEgJQNvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yeah I definitely would say 3 is too young for a HBB, even without speech and language issues.

Would you consider switching to something like an axkid move or minikid? They do until the child is around 6 so she would surely fit. And they are extended rear facing so much much safer.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Clashmore wrote: »
    3 is very young to be in a high back booster. You could try a Joie Bold which is harnessed to 25kg. Available in Tony Kealy’s

https://tonykealys.com/collections/car-seat-9-months-4yrs/products/joie-bold-group-1-2-3-car-seat-ember?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLnq7N_77wIVme3tCh3v2w1EEAQYAyABEgJQNvD_BwE

I asked about this one and the guy told me the 5 point harness would only work until 18kg. I'd definitely have preferred to keep her in a 5 point because she's totally wild. I'm not keen on having her with the car seatbelt alone.

I don't know what to do now though because I've bought the i-Traver and they fitted it in my car for me. I can't imagine they'll take it back, and I can't afford to buy a second car seat after just buying one today.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah I definitely would say 3 is too young for a HBB, even without speech and language issues.

Would you consider switching to something like an axkid move or minikid? They do until the child is around 6 so she would surely fit. And they are extended rear facing so much much safer.

Much as I'd prefer to keep her rear facing, it would have to be forward facing. My husband has an extended rear facing seat in his car and she will not get in it if it's not forward facing. She can open the belt buckle, and she will do it if it's rear facing, but she leaves it alone if she's facing the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Toots wrote: »
    I asked about this one and the guy told me the 5 point harness would only work until 18kg. I'd definitely have preferred to keep her in a 5 point because she's totally wild. I'm not keen on having her with the car seatbelt alone.

I don't know what to do now though because I've bought the i-Traver and they fitted it in my car for me. I can't imagine they'll take it back, and I can't afford to buy a second car seat after just buying one today.

I’d go back and tell them after research that the seat they recommended is in no way suitable for your child and they need to take it back. Ask to speak to a staff member who was trained by the RSA check it fits team because whoever you were talking to didn’t have a clue. From the Joie website, the Bold is harnessed to 25kg

https://uk.joiebaby.com/product/bold/

• Advertisement

Apparently the guy I got was the car seat person today :confused: I had to make an appointment and everything. That Joie Bold looks like exactly what I need. I'm half thinking I'll just hold on to the i-Traver until she out grows my husband's car seat, and he can use it then. And I'll try and raid my savings and buy the Bold.

I'm really surprised cos Tony Kealys are usually very good, but it even says on their website that the Bold is 5 point to 25kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you're on Facebook, I find this group to be very knowledgeable, although I think they'll only recommend rear facing at that age. But they may have advice for you anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We have a similar Toots...almost 3 and near enough in height and weight to your little one.He is in a Brittax Romer Evolva, still in the harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def far too young for a high back back booster. You can get lots of things to stop them opening buckles. Not rf until at least 4 wouldn't even be an option with me. You have to keep them safe so I wouldn't entertain them wanting to be ff just because they "want" to be.
    That rear facing page is great and will be able to advise you on what you can do to help with that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

+1 for the Joie Bold, great seat and we used it harnessed almost up to it's limit of 25kg. €170 seems to be a great price for it too.

Reason we changed to seat-belt (still in the Bold) before reaching the harness limit was due to shoulder height for the harness. It works as a HBB (once you exceed the harness limit) up to 36kg. Just make sure to check the fit list (as usual) for your car. I was surprised and disappointed to find that it couldn't go in the very back seats of a SEAT Alhambra

• Advertisement
Advertisement