Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winged "VF" symbol on old road signs and fingerposts

Options
  • 13-04-2021 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the story was with the old fingerpost signs you see around the country. Many of them have a logo on them with a winged "VF" type symbol. The photo shows one example.

That was the story with this? What was it on the signs and what was it supposed to represent?

1280px-IMG_R401Rathangan1257.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

F and a backwards F - old Bord Failte logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Ireland#/media/File:IMG_R401Rathangan1257.jpg

Took me ages, but ya as above stated, an old Bord Failte logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Ah right. Thank you.

It was an offshoot of Bord Failte Eireann called "Fogra Failte".

Why was this added to signs? Did it designate certain important tourist routes, or indicate places of interest with FF endorsement or something?
    Or did FF subsidise the cost of erecting the road signs?

But I do see it on very old signs to all sorts of random boring non-touristy places. Was it only on selected road signs, or was it put on all signs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were responsible for all road signage at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That's very surprising to hear. Was it just directional signage they used to do? They hardly did all the warning and regulatory signs too did they? Surely that would have been the remit of the county councils.

Any background to this or reading I could do on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

L1011 wrote: »
    They were responsible for all road signage at the time.
    My word, this country was terrible at doing road signage if we had to get the Tourism Board to do most of it.

Extremely poor signage coverage on non-national roads, and large numbers of old pre-kilometre signs still present, until only about 10 years ago. Mad stuff, comprehensive road signage is an essential service and should have been sorted by the mid 20th century at the latest. I've been to developing countries that have this sorted, I dunno what our excuse was.

Let's not forget the change to and back from the Irish versions in certain areas. God knows how tourists got to their destinations pre sat nav

The_Dave wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Ireland#/media/File:IMG_R401Rathangan1257.jpg

Took me ages, but ya as above stated, an old Bord Failte logo

I thought it was An Foras Forbartha
    See logo on link second publication about DublinTraffic.

https://hitone.wordpress.com/category/publishers/an-foras-forbartha/

Not sure if this adds much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

For historic images a number of the Statutory Instruments on this list contain detailed graphic representations. The signs shown at the end of the 1926 S.I. look quite quaint.

The earliest direction and warning signs in Ireland were erected by the AA and were various shapes with a yellow background with symbols and lettering in black. Some of these remained in situ until quite recently.

For anybody who is interested the current Irish Traffic Signs Manual is available online at www.trafficsigns.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Directional road signs in the UK were originally erected by various motoring organisations like the AA and RAC weren't they? I also seem to remember the Dutch ANWB was responsible for all directional road signs in the Netherlands until very recently. So not really that unusual, and I suspect you'd find many more examples if you went looking.

Advertisement