Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to grow Meadowsweet in (relatively) dry garden?

Options
  • 13-04-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to grow Meadowsweet in my garden. I bought a native wildflower seed mix and as it turns out, there is (or might be) Meadowsweet in it.

Is there any way to identify the Meadowsweet seeds in that, or does anywhere stock Meadowsweet to purchase?
    I have tried looking around but couldn't find it. I might have missed somewhere.

But mainly, is it possible to grow it in a relatively dry garden? I don't have a pond and don't plan on putting one in, but I have thought about heavy watering if that was what would be required, or maybe a rpot or bucket type feature filled with water and putting a basket with Meadowsweet into it.

My garden can get waterlogged after heavy rain, I am very near the coast (I could catapult a stone into the sea from my back garden), not sure if that would make a difference.

Any help or information appreciated.

Comments

I really don't know, but it has to be worth a try. It is likely that plants won't be as vigorous as those you will see in proper wet places, but they will more than likely make some progress, especially if well watered initially.
    Heavy clay will help as it drains poorly, but really just the soggiest part of the garden may well do.
    I have native Iris pseudacorus growing in my garden (from seed), regular bad acid soil, but that may have a wider tolerance than Meadowsweet. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cunla

Seedaholic.com based in Clonbur Co Galway sell Meadowsweet seeds but appears to be out of stock at the moment. They have a great range of seeds on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks.
    I think I am going to have to source them separately...
    I found a picture of the seeds, but they are 'fresh'.
    Not a chance I will find them in the seed mix. :D

I have found them in Johnstown Garden Centre, I could have sworn I had already checked there, unfortunately outside my 5K for now and only in store available.
    https://johnstowngardencentre.ie/filipendula-ulmaria.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are in the same county, or 20 km away if crossing a border then you are good to go! As of yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

looksee wrote: »
    If you are in the same county, or 20 km away if crossing a border then you are good to go! As of yesterday :D

:eek: FREEDOM!!
    I had heard 12th April but I thought that was UK restrictions. I stopped paying attention before christmas for fear I would go insane.

Better get my skates on and raid a few Garden Centres I have found with things I have been looking for.
    yay.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cunla wrote: »
    Seedaholic.com based in Clonbur Co Galway sell Meadowsweet seeds but appears to be out of stock at the moment. They have a great range of seeds on there.

Excellent seedsmen. They are opening a few hours a week for orders only as like many plant places ( Like Future Forests) they are blitzed out. With the lockdowns many are growing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Meadowsweet really won't grow unless in very wet, or boggy, ground. It needs to be sown in Autumn and best done in pots.

Advertisement