Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Tree Help!!

Options
  • 13-04-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi folks, have this acer in pot for 2 years. Plenty of buds coming but leaves seem to be drying out. Has been getting water, but gets little sun in the position it's in. Should i move it to partial sunlight? See picture attached, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

Frost and wind burn damage to tender first leaves most likely but it will be fine if a little unsightly until more new leaves emerge in kinder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Have you tried any sort of manure, etc in the soil in the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like frost damage alright. Move it to a sunny spot. Maples are happy enough in full sun, main thing they don't like is wind. My crimson queen maple is looking a bit like that too.

Edit that soil looks very wet too. Make sure it has plenty of drainage they don't like sitting in water

With Acers, it's nearly always wind damage. They hate the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with all the others, wind is the big issue, though it is tucked in a corner so you would think there would not be too much wind/frost. They are happy in partial/dappled shade so unless that corner is permanent shade it should be ok, which way is it facing? Is it a little frost pocket I wonder. Or facing due east so the morning sun gets at it while it is still frosted?

It will improve as the weather gets a bit warmer but may have some dead stick branch ends, just snip them off, its quite normal. Agreed the pot looks wetter than it should be. Did you put some bits of crocks or something in the bottom of the pot to maintain drainage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement