Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Triple Glazing worth the extra cost?

Options
  • 12-04-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Our PVCU double glazing windows are 20 years old and aren't great. Some draughts, stiff opening and generally poor quality.

I've had a quote from a company to replace all windows and doors for €26k. Will the triple glazing make a difference? Is there anything I should keep an eye out for in terms of standard of window, glass, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Replaced aluminium framed double glazed windows here in 2017. Went triple with Munster joinery €700 odd extra to go triple over double glazed. Made a huge difference in retaining heat inside the house. Rooms are not noticeably darker though are much much quieter. I had walls filled afterwards with insulation didn't notice any great difference not as much as the windows. The summer of 2018 when we had 30 degree heat the house was cool at night I slept comfortably with the duvet over me. No doubt present day double glazing would be leagues ahead of the windows I threw out everyone I know who recently built a house went triple so I've no first hand knowledge of new double glazed windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Huge surprise for me in sound attenuation, in a sunny floor to ceiling glass wall kitchen.
    Its a big upside of triple glaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

generally, south facing windows are DG, to allow for solar gain

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

DG?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116720533

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Gorteen wrote: »
    Is there anything I should keep an eye out for in terms of standard of window, glass, etc?

I'd presume if you were going to drop 26k on a car you’d do a fair bit of research.
    It might be worth considering paying an architect a couple of hundred quid for an hour or twos consultation and getting a semi-informed opinion.

Any in-depth discussion on windows tends to get knocked on the head sharpish in this parish.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Huge surprise for me in sound attenuation, in a sunny floor to ceiling glass wall kitchen.
    Its a big upside of triple glaze.

Sound attenuation is usually better with double-glazing then triple-glazing.
    New windows are always better then the window they replace if only because the seals are in place and stopping air (sound) leakage.

Gorteen wrote: »
    DG?

Don’t worry – you’re not missing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

fatty pang wrote: »
    Any in-depth discussion on windows window manufacturers tends to get knocked on the head sharpish in this parish.

I think that might be a better description fatty - I don't think the mods here want to leave the place open to legal proceedings from any particular manufacturer.

The technical merits of different window systems is something that interests me hugely but the vast majority of people who know enough about this stuff are manufacturers or retailers of a specific system or type of window so you have to filter the useful technical content out of all the information that is being supplied and then try to make your own like for like comparison!

To answer the OP's question. Triple is worth the extra cost because the extra cost is minimal and the thermal retention in cold weather vastly outstrips the slight additional thermal gain from double-glazed systems. (Also bearing in mind that solar gain isn't always your friend, it's great in Jan and Feb but not much fun in July/August!)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

if you have sash windows, we were advised to use double glazing as the Triple Glazing can be too heavy and over time, the top section may "slip" a little. not sure how true, but sounded sensible to us....

• Advertisement

I think that might be a better description fatty - I don't think the mods here want to leave the place open to legal proceedings from any particular manufacturer.

In discussing windows invariably manufacturers will have to come into the conversation. If they are all making the same thing what’s the point of doing things differently. Any other construction product – including skylights, (a window) – can be named by manufacturer and the merits discussed without the commentary being censored.

IMHO there is a serious deficit of knowledge about windows in the industry - at all levels. As the man said “Although the window is one of the most critical components in any building it is often the least well specified”. If the professionals are struggling what chance does the punter have in sorting out the wheat from the chaff before parting with 26k ? Go on to just about any other forum on Boards and you will find people airing their experiences of poor service and quality from all manner of companies. Why should window suppliers and installers be protected from this?

There are enough professionals on here that anybody shilling would be held to account. Anybody is free to take issue with my opinions and call out nonsense as I do when I see it (the forum regularly accepts garbage posts about alu-clad windows not being suitable for this climate with impunity – and no solicitors letters). I would be happy to engage more in the forum and provide informed advice but what’s the point with the ever present ‘kill-switch’ hovering over any post.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fatty pang wrote: »
    In Anybody is free to take issue with my opinions
    so if your views (or more likely the views of disgruntled fellow posters, who purchase products from a host of white gold salesmen), are Deemed as slanderous, will you stand up and be held accountable when boards.ie is sued? I doubt it. That’s the reason the charter is there and, companies not discussed in this forum.

We value your expertise, why not share it without mentioning specific brand names? Why not point out what the public should look fo, when comparing systems for example?

I know from past experience it’s pointless, or more precisely counter-productive, to debate this issue with a mod so I will refrain and reserve any ‘slanderous’ opinions for ‘Consumer Issues’ and ‘Rip Off Ireland’ sub-forums where name & shame of sharp practice is notably more liberally policed. With vexatious solicitors letters I find an accurate response referring them to appropriate legislation and standards is sufficiently effective .
    As to sharing knowledge I do that anyway but I strongly mainatain it’s so much clearer for the consumer to look at specific products when trying to understand the differences discussed. The house rules are what they are though so I’ll dip in and out accordingly -

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Would anyone have a recommendation for decent window supplier. Looking to purchase 2 roof lights 3x1m and a 3.5m lift and slide patio door all triple glazed.

Appreciate any recommendation by PM of course!

Advertisement