Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Flowers and Allergies

Options
  • 12-04-2021 7:24pm

Hello, I'm getting married in October and my fiancé gets very bad hay-fever from pollen. Our florist (deposit not yet paid) thinks we should be fine because October is a low pollen month. She has suggested dahlias, roses, and runcula ? I'm not sure of the pronunciation and spelling of that last one.

Google tells me dahlias are high in pollen. Her flowers are seasonal and I know that's important to her. I'm hoping someone without a vested interest can advise me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Hello, I'm getting married in October and my fiancé gets very bad hay-fever from pollen. Our florist (deposit not yet paid) thinks we should be fine because October is a low pollen month. She has suggested dahlias, roses, and runcula ? I'm not sure of the pronunciation and spelling of that last one.

Google tells me dahlias are high in pollen. Her flowers are seasonal and I know that's important to her. I'm hoping someone without a vested interest can advise me.

How does she usually react around cut flowers? From my (limited) experience of hay fever, it usually affects people in the spring time and early summer when there is a lot of pollen in the air. I haven't heard of cases of people sneezing around cut flowers, but I'm sure it's possible. It that a reaction you have seen from your fiancé before? Would you never have flowers in the house for example?

JPup wrote: »
    How does she usually react around cut flowers? From my (limited) experience of hay fever, it usually affects people in the spring time and early summer when there is a lot of pollen in the air. I haven't heard of cases of people sneezing around cut flowers, but I'm sure it's possible. It that a reaction you have seen from your fiancé before? Would you never have flowers in the house for example?

He :) We would never have flowers in the house. Even cut ones cause him to sneeze and have runny eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Think outside the box and use fabric or felt flowers made to your specifications. Properly made they look beautiful and will be a permanent keepsake.
    I'm not talking about the very poor examples you often see at craft sales but works of art that are unique.
    Lots of examples online in ETSY or search Feltmakers Ireland for possibilities.

The most beautiful are hand made using wool roving. Actually very easy to do and pre covid you could have had a tutor help you make your own.

I've seen them used and it was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Frankie19

I suffer very badly with Hayfever and it can occur any time of the year.I can't even have a real Christmas tree as it sets it off. For my wedding I went with roses for the church and bouquets and also the groomsmen. I also made sure to pack antihistamines for the venue as well just in case something there set me off but thankfully it didn't.

Frankie19 wrote: »
    I suffer very badly with Hayfever and it can occur any time of the year.I can't even have a real Christmas tree as it sets it off. For my wedding I went with roses for the church and bouquets and also the groomsmen. I also made sure to pack antihistamines for the venue as well just in case something there set me off but thankfully it didn't.

Did the antihistamines work? I know that's probably a stupid question but I'm very nervous of his day being ruined.

• Advertisement

wildwillow wrote: »
    If you rely mostly on foliage you will have less of a problem.

You can search for low pollen flowers on google.

Roses and gladioli and hydrangea are examples. I would test them before having a meltdown at the ceremony.

Pollen count is often lower in October.

I did that and none of them are what the florist mentioned which concerns me given that she knows they must be low pollen.

He :) We would never have flowers in the house. Even cut ones cause him to sneeze and have runny eyes.

Sorry, I misread when you wrote 'her' flowers you meant the florist!

Also, just to add it might be best to ditch flowers altogether given what you're written.

Ask the florist to come up with a seasonal display of different coloured foliage. She could add autumnal leaves, pine cones, maybe baby gourds etc.

@and in the morning diamonds of frost. I took beconase nose spray in the morning then had zirtex with me but didn't need to take them thankfully. I would say though be careful what they take and don't take one they have never used before. For example I can't take piriton as would be asleep within 10 minutes of taking it.

I kept flowers to a minimum at the venue ....for example only every second table had roses with the centre piece. The rest had candelabras. The mothers bouquets were also roses ......my flower bill was expensive:-/

@and in the morning diamonds of frost. I took beconase nose spray in the morning then had zirtex with me but didn't need to take them thankfully. I would say though be careful what they take and don't take one they have never used before. For example I can't take piriton as would be asleep within 10 minutes of taking it.

I kept flowers to a minimum at the venue ....for example only every second table had roses with the centre piece. The rest had candelabras. The mothers bouquets were also roses ......my flower bill was expensive:-/

We were quoted €1700 and that doesn't include centrepieces :( The new lady is working out at about €1200 but I guess that's because she she isn't taking in to account low pollen. I think we will forego flowers on our table definitely.

Himself takes zirtek so he'll have that on the day anyways.

• Advertisement

I paid 1500 which at the time annoyed me as I'm not big into flowers at all due to hay-fever and felt the money could be better spent but they looked good in the photos e.t.c I was even going to not bother with a bouquet but felt it might look strange walking down the asile without one!

Well I'm not getting much joy out of Google when it comes to dahlias and allergies. Senior hope and cafe au lait aren't playing ball in the search. I've a call with another florist tomorrow so hopefully she can shed some light.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just a suggestion - maybe your fiancé could get tested to see which types of pollen he's allergic to? For instance, he might be allergic to lime tree pollen but not to lilies. Otherwise get flowers (like lilies) where you can remove all the pistils and stamens. I'd say the price would sky-rocket, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://www.fiftyflowers.com/blog/top-10-allergy-friendly-flowers/

Interesting little article here - I like the idea of hydrangeas for the arrangements! Most of the flowers mentioned are 'staples' that are easy to get and not expensive, maybe you could do a little experiment beforehand of a small arrangement in the house and see how he gets on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I get bad hay fever most of the year too. And as soon as leaves start appearing. It is not just flowers; grasses and weeds.

Allergy varies between folk. Have a look at online allergy resources? Apart from meds I mean. How to others cope?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

agree re piriton… great for insomnia

looksee wrote: »
    https://www.fiftyflowers.com/blog/top-10-allergy-friendly-flowers/

Interesting little article here - I like the idea of hydrangeas for the arrangements! Most of the flowers mentioned are 'staples' that are easy to get and not expensive, maybe you could do a little experiment beforehand of a small arrangement in the house and see how he gets on?

Thanks for that looksee. I'll have a read. If we go with 'real' flowers I'm going to get a little bunch for the house and see.

New Home wrote: »
    Just a suggestion - maybe your fiancé could get tested to see which types of pollen he's allergic to? For instance, he might be allergic to lime tree pollen but not to lilies. Otherwise get flowers (like lilies) where you can remove all the pistils and stamens. I'd say the price would sky-rocket, though...

Another good idea :) It's possible that not every flower will aggravate him. As for the price, well I have considered sourcing dried flowers myself from say Etsy and arranging them in the venue. That would be no bother to me but I wouldn't have the time that morning.
    Also came across little artificial bits in IKEA that could be an idea for the tables. Maybe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Alternatively, you could just go for arrangement of leaves of different kind, some of them do look like flowers, and maybe fruit. A cornucopia of fruit and leaves would be gorgeous!

Advertisement