Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate valve not working

Options
  • 12-04-2021 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have a 3/4 gate valve on the mains supply outside my house.When fully closed the valve reduces the flow but does not stop it completely.I took the top off valve and replaced the gate out of another valve and cleaned the chamber as best I could but it made no difference.Its hard to see if theres any pitting as water remains in the valve due to its location.Its under a footpath so it would be an awkward job to change the whole valve.There is a main stopcock but its in a neighbouring field and a nuisance to get at.Thats why I put in the gate valve in about 30 years ago.I wonder is there any way around this or will I need to replace valve.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Perhaps you could put another gate valve somewhere more convenient and leave that one where it is.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

Thanks but that valve was put in the most convenient place possible at the time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    Thanks but that valve was put in the most convenient place possible at the time.
    Surely the pipe reappears out of the ground somewhere.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

Normally, its debris in the bottom of the valve that causes this but you have cleaned out the chamber, only other suggestion short of changing out the valve is to keep opening and shutting the vale to get the wedge to fit better/tighter to stop leakage.

Advertisement