Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless microphone solution

Options
  • 12-04-2021 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I would like some advice about a wireless microphone solution that I could use both business meetings, and simple content creation.

Before I go ahead with the details, I would like to disclose that I have little to no knowledge of electronics or sound engineering. Thus, I would like to apologise in advance for any idiotic statements or questions that might follow.

I am looking for a wireless microphone solution to solve three problems:

1. Business meetings from home (50% of the time). I spend in excess of four hours in business calls every day, and it is important that my voice is clear to the other participants. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate any type of headphones around my hears for more that 30/40 minutes at the time so end up using the loud speakers of the monitor and continuously mute/unmute the the microphone. I recently borrowed a Jabra loud speaker which is great, but I can't really use it to solve the other two problems.
    2. Business meetings on the go or in an open-office space (30% of the time). I often need to take calls (before COVID at least) on the go on (airports, train stations, car) or in an open-office space. I normally use an old pair of Apple headphones that came with the phone. They get the job done, but I often get complains that voice is not very clear, and that there is a lot of background noise.
    3. Creation of short training videos, either recorded or as live streams (20% of the time). This is nothing too advanced, just me explaining something in front of a whiteboard. I normally use the Apple headphones + Logitech Brio, but it's a pain to deal with the cable extension and the quality is not great.

Problems that I DO NOT need to solve are:

1. Long distance between wireless RX/TX.
    2. Hiding the microphone under clothing. The size (as long as it is portable) is also not a major concern.
    3. Very high level sound quality (e.g. needed for music or songs). My goal is for my normal voice to be clear to my audience.

Based on all of the above, I have been doing some research on combining a wireless RX/TX + a uni-directional lavalier microphone.

For the wireless RX/TX, I shortlisted:

1. Rhode Wireless GO. I think the older model would suffice as I only need one TX, but the Wireless GO II is the only one that mentions "3.5mm TRS analog output, USB-C and iOS digital output – universal compatibility with cameras, mobile devices and computers". Does anyone know if the older model also supports connectivity with mobile devices and computers?
    2. Saramonic Blink500 B5. Saramonic tech support confirmed the the USB-C receiver would work with a Windows 10 computer. I am not too sure if the PRO version is needed. It doesn't seem to offer anything major other than the price tag.

Choosing the lavalier microphone is where I get completely lost! It seems more of a form of art rather than a technical decision. From what I gather, I need to keep three factors in consideration:

1. The pattern. I would guess that cardioid/supercardioid/hypercardioids is what I am looking for because the on the go and open-office space constraint. Is this true?
    2. Connector. The connector must be compatible the the TX, but I'm not sure if if it's possible to use adapters. E.g. could I use an adapter to convert from TA4F or XLR to a 3.5mm TRS?
    3. Voltage. Lavalier microphones seem to require power (usually 1.5VDC to 7.5VDC) from the TX transmitter. Neither the Rhode Wireless GO or the Saramonic Blink500 seem to specify exactly what they provide. Is there some kind of standard/assumption on this?

Regarding the model, the cheapest uni-directional lav mic I can find with decent reviews are:

1. Shure WL184 with a TQG (T4AF, 4-Pin Mini) plug
    2. Sennheiser ME 4 with an operating voltage of 7,5 V and 3.5mm (TRS?) plug.

Not sure if any of the two are even compatible with the Rhode or Saramonic TX.

Any input/suggestions/clarifications on any of the above would be very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Using speakers and a lav mic is a bit of a disaster if the loop cancellation doesn't work. If you dont normally use headphones for long periods you wont be able to, have you tried training yourself up?

Also crap headphones are uncomfortable, proper studio headphones can be worn all day with no real fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aldib

I have tried anything from large circumaural to small in-ear headphones and for me it's a guaranteed headache after 40 minutes. Said that, I recently purchased a pair of bone conductiion headphones (Aftershokz Aeropex) and I can tolerate them for much longer (2/3 h). Audio quality is not the same, but I doesn't need to be for what I use them for. Potentially, I could pair them together with the lav mic. Assuming this to be the case, could anyone recommend a good wireless RX/TX + lav mic combination?

Advertisement