Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soccer

Options
  • 12-04-2021 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a warning and a ban for calling a football player a snake. I think a warning for that is a little severe. It's basically a step up from a calling a player a cheat. It's a football forum, players will be accused of cheating.

I am aware that I was on my last chance so I wasn't going to be abusive and bring on the permanent ban. I really didn't think "snake" was going to warrant that.

My previous yellow cards have been justified and have no issue with those but this one seems over-the-top.

Thanks.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Have you attempted to chat with the mod about it via PM first? If not, please do so to see if you can both come to a resolution before we escalate it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tokyo wrote: »
    Have you attempted to chat with the mod about it via PM first? If not, please do so to see if you can both come to a resolution before we escalate it further.

I have. I still feel the warning is over the top.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

J. Marston wrote: »
    I have. I still feel the warning is over the top.

Can you post the PM conversation here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

awec wrote: »
    Can you post the PM conversation here?
    Yep.
    Hi,

Just following the dispute resolution process.

Was banned from soccer for calling Son a snake. I think that is an extremely tame insult, one step up from cheat.

Is the permanent ban necessary for that?
    Hello,

Thanks for additional PM. Below is your post which a warning was applied for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by J. Marston View Post
    Son is one of the biggest fúcking snakes in the league. Always said it. I hate him.
    As per the charter, terms that are even vaguely derogatory may be considered as abuse for the purpose of the charter. The charter notes that it is ok to deliver a point passionately, to swear if you so choose, though you can make a point solidly without having to call people / teams / etc names.

You have already conceded the term was an insult which means you were aware of what you were posting. You could have said you thought he was playacting but instead chose to post abuse.

With previous history considered I don't see a reason to overturn the ban under the specific reason given (abuse).

Separately, the post is problematic as it states the player is "one of the biggest fúcking snakes in the league", and brings hate into the conversation. That type of posting encourages further response, either in kind or defence, that could derail a thread. Such posting is not welcome and would come to moderator attention for consideration regardless of the abuse rules.

As you started a DRP already you may wish to continue with that route to have the warning further considered.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have looked into this.

Firstly, on the yellow itself, your post was clearly abuse of Son. That is against the charter.

Secondly, since the start of 2020 you've amassed 12 months worth of bans in the soccer forum. You lasted 1 day after your second 3 month ban before picking up a six month ban. That six month ban ended on 1 April and now less than 2 weeks later here you are again. It is clear that you have not learnt your lesson, and this must be one of the worst records in the soccer forum.

You've had lots of chances, I cannot see how I can overturn this, so appeal rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement