Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grated Potato Fries

Options
  • 11-04-2021 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭

I used to make matchstick chips but without a julienne machine, they take ages to cut by hand.

Kids have been asking for them again and I’ve been thinking of using the grater attachment on the food processor to cut them. If you Google Grated Potato Fries you just get recipes for rosti or hash browns.

If I rinse the grated potato in water and dry on a tea towel before frying. Does anyone know a reason why it wouldn’t work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭con747

The only reason it might not is the grated potato would be very thin and after rinsing it might clump together or go mushy, I think shoestring fries are usually 5-7mm wide? and as long as the potato. Try it with a potato and see the outcome, nothing to lose if the little people don't know your trying it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I think you'd need long potatoes, and to shred them longwise, but the potatoes should mostly give long shreds. I shred spuds a lot w/ my food processor for hashbrowns and get very long ones sometimes (though it doesn't matter for hashbrowns or kartoffelpuffers). I hope your food processor has a wide mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Food processor and straight in fryer. They are so thin you dont have to worry about the starch or double frying or anything. Golden wonders and pipers work well, but more or less any potato will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭derb12

I grate potatoes using the biggest-holes-grater I have. Rinse them with water in a strainer, and squeeze out excess liquid. The mix them with finely chopped onion and garlic, add salt/pepper to taste, squish them into little burger sized clumps (not too thick) and fry in half oil half butter in a pan.
    You need a big potato like a golden wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ok, tried them tonight. Always done my deep frying in a wok with veg oil. The highest setting on the hob brought the temp of the oil to 160c.

Grated potato, skin on, rinsed in water, drained through colander and into the fryer.

30 minutes later, they’re done! They’d be white and floppy forever then they just turn brown.

Repeat with another potato. If I tried to add two at a time, they stuck together.

So yes it can be done but I was 2.5 hours making the bloody things!

A hotter oil would probably be the answer but I’m reluctant to get another gadget. Or move to a house with a gas hob. :rolleyes:

Here they are with some fried chicken and a solitary gherkin for veg matter.......
    Edit: And gravy. Had to have gravy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Oh I wonder could you do them w/ a julienne disk rather than a grater? I'm nearly tempted to do this myself.

160 is annoying for deepfrying. My bbq side hob only gets the oil to that, (great for belgian frites, ****e for anything else) but my electric hob gets a pot to 210 when I don't want it to. (and won't get back up when I do)

Ok, tried them tonight. Always done my deep frying in a wok with veg oil. The highest setting on the hob brought the temp of the oil to 160c.

Grated potato, skin on, rinsed in water, drained through colander and into the fryer.

30 minutes later, they’re done! They’d be white and floppy forever then they just turn brown.

Repeat with another potato. If I tried to add two at a time, they stuck together.

So yes it can be done but I was 2.5 hours making the bloody things!

A hotter oil would probably be the answer but I’m reluctant to get another gadget. Or move to a house with a gas hob. :rolleyes:

Here they are with some fried chicken and a solitary gherkin for veg matter.......
    Edit: And gravy. Had to have gravy! :)

Dont grate them or wash them. A Brazilian chef showed me how to do them perfectly.

Run them through a food processor. Its whatever grating attaching makes them come out like little match sticks. Then straight in the fryer at about 170 until golden brown.

You might need to play with temperature a bit, or you could start them in cold oil and heat up -A great technique for French fry type chips.

Use a white potato. Season right out of fryer, and voila, u have perfect little mini chips.

I use a wok to fry too. If you're having problems with heat just use less oil and it will heat the oil quicker and hotter, and then do the chips in small batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

My sons bought their mom and dad a nice Japanese chef knife. Super sharp. It doesn't take that long to do slim julienne with a good knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dont grate them or wash them. A Brazilian chef showed me how to do them perfectly.

Run them through a food processor. Its whatever grating attaching makes them come out like little match sticks. Then straight in the fryer at about 170 until golden brown.

You might need to play with temperature a bit, or you could start them in cold oil and heat up -A great technique for French fry type chips.

Use a white potato. Season right out of fryer, and voila, u have perfect little mini chips.

Sorry, I was using the grater attachment on the food processor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement