Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell Strip

Options
  • 11-04-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this thread has already been discussed (if so, link?)

I hate mowing. I'm finally going to tackle the grass on the verge between the path and the road this summer. It's a 50/50 strip shared with my neighbour. I want to fill it with something hardy, low maintenance, but also aesthethically pleasing. I've seen lots of people planting wildflowers which is nice in theory, but mostly they look like overgrown weeds...

I was thinking a mix of mint and salvias and maybe a few varieties of ornamental grasses but I'm still very unsure. I was hoping something like mint would out-compete the lawn, which would save me from having to dig it all up.The space is quite big so I might only do it bit by bit over the summer. And I somehow want it to seamlessly mesh with my neighbour's half.

Has anyone successfully done their hell strip? Any planting ideas? Tips and tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Mine IS a heap of wildflowers, but they don't look weedy...

Well, not all wild: a cheerful jostling crowd of Feverfew, Lambs Ears, Lemon Balm, Oxalis, Clover both red and while, snowdrops, and grassland flowers like Dog-daisy, Red Campion, Teasel, and Plantain for the kids to play Soldiers with.

Neighbours often stop and comment how cheerful it looks, and a haven for wildlife, too - bees in the clover and Melissa, insects drinking in the teasel, and always the first ladybirds of the season on a couple of warm rocks.

I chop off a few larger clumps of grass with a shears maybe twice a year. Honestly, it is almost self-maintaining and always looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Amazing! I never thought of rocks but it might work well to separate between mine and my neighbour's. Thanks for the plant recommendations!!

Advertisement