Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I start biking??

Options
  • 10-04-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm a 43 year old male who, after a bit of a career change, has started working 2km from home. I've been cycling the last while, as I cant fathom the idea of buying a car (cost, insurance, space taken up by car etc). But I'm wondering if a motorbike might be a nice idea. I have ZERO experience of motorbikes. I'm just wondering, as an entry level biker...
    1. What kind of bike, and cost should I look at?
    2. What would I expect the insurance to be? (43 year old male, clean car license).
    3. Any other major considerations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm a 43 year old male who, after a bit of a career change, has started working 2km from home. I've been cycling the last while, as I cant fathom the idea of buying a car (cost, insurance, space taken up by car etc). But I'm wondering if a motorbike might be a nice idea. I have ZERO experience of motorbikes. I'm just wondering, as an entry level biker...
    2. What would I expect the insurance to be? (43 year old male, clean car license).

Thanks in advance

1. Depends on what the overall use of the bike will be, if its literally just 2km each way and nothing else I wouldn't bother personally. Cost would out weigh any benefits.
    If its work commute, and general spins, trips etc, 600ish cc upright naked/tourer will do ya right. If its only going to be say around Dublin City that's the one time I'd advocate a small, light, small cc bike to filter in and out easily.
    Cost of theory test and learner permit, ibt (upto about €650), what ever the bike and insurance costs, upto €88 per year in tax and what ever you spend on gear.

2. Your car licence and driving experience with it mean literally nothing. Not taken into account and the skill sets are massively different.
    Literally no one can tell you what to expect it all depends on your age, licence, ncb, address and type of bike. Anyone that offers figures is purely anecdotal, I pay less for a 600cc sports bike than some people I know who are older and ride 400cc tourers.

3. There's a bit of a back log with the Ibts.
    You can't ride without an ibt.
    Back log in tests, could be hopefully cleared by the time you were eligible.
    Riding a bike is a complete different skill set to driving a car.
    They are great craic, but never ride angry or upset it massively effects your skills, judgement and abilities.
    Cars WON'T see you, you'll most likely have a lot of near misses that aren't your fault.
    If its only gna be a 2km and nothing more maybe a moped/scouter (yes I hate myself for suggesting that).

Other than that it's a relatively good community to be a part of, they are great craic and great for clearing the head.
    You'll feel like a drowned rat in the rain haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

For a 2km commute, no, definitely not, by the time you'd get your lid and gloves on you'd already have cycled there. Biking is expensive to start too vs a push bike which is what, 0 if you already own a bike. Are bikes a brilliant past time and is it worth it as a hobby, F yes!

zubair wrote: »
    For a 2km commute, no, definitely not, by the time you'd get your lid and gloves on you'd already have cycled there. Biking is expensive to start too vs a push bike which is what, 0 if you already own a bike. Are bikes a brilliant past time and is it worth it as a hobby, F yes!

Very valid point by the time you throw on the gear and unlock the f€cker he'd probably be there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

In my opinion biking makes no logical sense. But it's great fun and really enjoyable.

If you think you might like to ride a bike, go for it. If you enjoy it you'll love it, and if you don't you will have a great awareness on the road when driving a car and had a great experience

Been a complete novice trying to get into biking can be overwhelming, but if you want to ride a bike persevere and it will be worth. And then you find excuses for commuting to work by taking the 50km long cut instead of the 2km normal way.

As regards your questions:

1. What bike? Completely subjective, look around. Do your ibt get a feel for what you like.

2. Insurance. My first bike was an old deauville. As a complete novice, it was cheap, forgiving, practical, been shaft driven pretty much maintenance free, bullet proof, and fantastic support from owners groups. I was 33 and my first insurance on learner's permit was €340.

3. Other considerations:
    Storage/parking, gear ( starter gear about €700), lessons, time and effort, developing a really expensive hobby that is probably more expensive than heroin, but probably as satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

kelbal wrote: »

Thanks in advance

Clean car license? When did you get your license?

It's possible you can ride up to 49cc if you have AM license ticked on tour license.

This would get you many scooters and would save on IBT. I'd only for a 2k commute it's be perfect.

A few years ago with an AM license I paid 220 insurance and it was 50 to tax.

Could be a cheap and cheerful solution for you.

If you find you're enjoying the scooter you then might make bigger commitment for IBT and get your license etc. This is what happened me. Got the scooter as a toy but enjoyed it so much I went and done the IBT and get the license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Thanks a mil, all very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Half decent motorbike - €3000
    Helmet - €300
    Gear - €300
    Rain Gear - €100
    Boots - €150
    IBT - €500
    First time insurance - Allow for €1500
    Theory Test - €45
    Eye Test - €15
    Road Tax - €88
    Yearly servicing- About €100

And probably more I haven’t thought about!

Definitely wouldn’t do it to save money..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Biking starting off can work out expensive. I think there was the idea that it was buy a cheap bike, cheap lid, gloves and away you go - probably comes from when lads had bikes added to their car license. Now with added training etc soon adds up. I'd say go for it Kelbal if you have the time to wait for IBT and the cash to invest in the extras and envisage yourself going on proper spins further than your 2 km commute.
    If that doesn't appeal, stick to the bicycle. Cheaper to run, plus you can still pretend your on a motorbike when the rain is pissing down on your commute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you want to have an alternative to the bicycle, and maybe a full-on motorcycle is a bit daunting, then a modern mid or large size scooter (from 250cc upwards) is a good choice.

I'm in a bike-centric household: me, the SO, the Young Lad..........and following a purchase of a 250cc scooter last summer, I can tell you the scooter gets by far the most use and has yet to be found wanting.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭dmigsy

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you want to have an alternative to the bicycle, and maybe a full-on motorcycle is a bit daunting, then a modern mid or large size scooter (from 250cc upwards) is a good choice.

I'm in a bike-centric household: me, the SO, the Young Lad..........and following a purchase of a 250cc scooter last summer, I can tell you the scooter gets by far the most use and has yet to be found wanting.

Good shout. I'm a similar age to the OP and had zero interest in motorbikes until a couple of years ago when I had a few months in Thailand, constantly buzzing around on a moped. Loved it. Did my IBT as soon as I could when I got home & have my full A license now.

Could see myself getting a scooter for pottering around on at some point in the distant future. A good few bikes on the 'to-own' list before then though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Helmet - €300
    Gear - €300
    Rain Gear - €100
    Boots - €150
    IBT - €500
    Theory Test - €45
    Eye Test - €15
    Road Tax - €88

Fcuk me...stuff is dear down your way...:eek:

Helmet - €300
    Gear - €300
    Rain Gear - €100
    Boots - €150
    IBT - €500
    Theory Test - €45
    Eye Test - €15
    Road Tax - €88

Starting out my experince went more like the below. Obviously I've spent stupid money on stuff I don't need since but your budget is spread across a lot of stuff starting out.

motorbike - €1800
    Helmet - €80
    Gear - €100
    Gloves - 50
    Rain Gear - (waterproof above)
    Boots - €80
    IBT - €500
    First time insurance - €700
    Theory Test - €45
    Eye Test - €15
    Road Tax - €88
    Yearly servicing- About €1000000

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

There was some false economy for me anyway in going cheap and cheerful out the gate.

I spent
    <€100 on boots
    <€200 on a helmet
    <€50 on gloves

Then 3 months later when I realised they were all terrible/dangerous I dropped another €800 replacing them.

I also vastly underestimated how quick I'd go through tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Starting out my experince went more like the below. Obviously I've spent stupid money on stuff I don't need since but your budget is spread across a lot of stuff starting out.

motorbike - €1800 .....£650
    Helmet - €80..........£25
    Gear - €100.......Donkey jacket...free
    Gloves - 50...me Da's....free
    Rain Gear - (waterproof above)....Da's old oil skins..free
    Boots - €80.....cowboy..Dunnes
    IBT - €500...Jack Nolan showed me the clutch and brake....
    First time insurance - €700.....£75.....NU cocks...
    Theory Test - €45....:D
    Eye Test - €15....I was 18...
    Road Tax - €88 ...probably £1
    Yearly servicing- About €1000000..........DIY

Richie Rich...........:p

IBT - €500...Jack Nolan showed me the clutch and brake....

XD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

Well the insurance quote in the op of 1500 quid is absolute rubbish, my first bike was 5 years ago a gsxr 600 with 0 years NCB and the insurance was 500 quid, was on a full license. I did the test on an instructors bike and never drove my own bike on my provisional.

If the bike is purely a small one to commute it will be about 300 quid.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Well the insurance quote in the op of 1500 quid is absolute rubbish, my first bike was 5 years ago a gsxr 600 with 0 years NCB and the insurance was 500 quid, was on a full license. I did the test on an instructors bike and never drove my own bike on my provisional.

Op never mentioned €1500?

Insurance prices have changed in the last two years for new riders never mind 5.

Fairly substantial difference in the cost for an L and a full licenced rider.

You and all of us know that's not how insurance works. The price you paid 5 years ago or I paid 2 years ago means nothing to what the op could be quoted. Yes 1500 would be unrealistic for a low class / cc bike but 500 may also be unrealist.

Cc, insurance class, bike value, location bike is kept/ owners address, whether vechicle is garaged or in street or drive way, owners job, points/convictions, age all play a part in the quote.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Op never mentioned €1500?

Insurance prices have changed in the last two years for new riders never mind 5.

Fairly substantial difference in the cost for an L and a full licenced rider.

You and all of us know that's not how insurance works. The price you paid 5 years ago or I paid 2 years ago means nothing to what the op could be quoted. Yes 1500 would be unrealistic for a low class / cc bike but 500 may also be unrealist.

Cc, insurance class, bike value, location bike is kept/ owners address, whether vechicle is garaged or in street or drive way, owners job, points/convictions, age all play a part in the quote.

Another poster who quoted ridiculous prices to start biking wrote it, I meant op as in another poster

Insurance prices have not risen that high, you can get a load of bikes insured for well less than 500 on a provisional now

Another poster who quoted ridiculous prices to start biking quoted it.

Insurance prices have not risen that high, you can get a load of bikes insured for well less than 500 on a provisional now

Looking back I can see who posted it.

Very easily there's no way they should be at €1000 even.
    €1500 should be a young kid starting out not an adult beyond the age of 26, never mind in their 40s

Most commuter or cruisers unless something exotic or high value should come in between €600 - €900 for an L starting off.

I accept your apology.

• Advertisement

No it’s not.. have a look what 18-25 year olds are paying for first time insurance at the moment. Go onto Facebook and go to the page Young Bikers Ireland and you’ll see what they’re paying. They could dream on of being insured on a ‘R’ bike.

€300 on any type of motorcycle for a first timer is absolute fantasy.. don’t know what planet you’re on.

Those days are long gone old timer.

Here’s some more examples

Keeway 125cc cruiser etc.

No it’s not.. have a look what 18-25 year olds are paying for first time insurance at the moment. Go onto Facebook and go to the page Young Bikers Ireland and you’ll see what they’re paying. They could dream on of being insured on a ‘R’ bike.

€300 on any type of motorcycle for a first timer is absolute fantasy.. don’t know what planet you’re on.

Those days are long gone old timer.

The OP is 43 though. So relative to his scenario 500-700 would seem about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

My first time insurance on a deauville at 33 was 340.

I think if the op decides to start biking and chooses a sensible bike, insurance will be the least of his issues.

I hope we haven't discouraged him from giving biking a go. Go for it OP. It's well worth it. And once the initial outlay is done it becomes a lot more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

My first time insurance on a deauville at 33 was 340.

I think if the op decides to start biking and chooses a sensible bike insurance will be the least of his issues.

44 here and first insurance was €280

I hope we haven't discouraged him from giving biking a go. Go for it OP. It's well worth it. And once the initial outlay is done it becomes a lot more affordable.

I think we just discouraged him from being on this forum LOL.

The OP is 43 though. So relative to his scenario 500-700 would seem about right.

I don’t think so, I know a 54 year old who’s paying 1500ish, but it’s on a bike you’d expect a 54 year old to be on.
    Maybe they’d do the 500-700 for a fella in his 40s on a 125.

Similar price to a buddy who’s 26 who’s on his first year on a Bandit 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I don’t think so, I know a 54 year old who’s paying 1500ish, but it’s on a bike you’d expect a 54 year old to be on.
    Maybe they’d do the 500-700 for a fella in his 40s on a 125.

Similar price to a buddy who’s 26 who’s on his first year on a Bandit 600.

What bike would you expect a 54 yr old to be on?

Those prices seem quite high to me.

What bike would you expect a 54 yr old to be on?

Those prices seem quite high to me.

A 500cc+

That’s what he was paying on a BMW 650GS.

Insurance on bikes has sky rocketed the last few years for people trying to get into it

• Advertisement

On anther active thread a 28 year old was quoted 800 on a CBF600 with an online application, common experiences would mean that this quote will go down if he calls them.

And you're 100% right about young people getting mad quotes, but not at 30+yo.

Advertisement