Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic tank issue

Options
  • 10-04-2021 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

We got spray insulation in our attic yesterday and after the workmen had left noticed a lot of debris in our water tank that my husband fished out. Now, we’ve noticed that the toilet in the main bathroom is filling really slowly (as in taking 30 minutes to fill).. I am guessing that some debris has worked he’s way through and caused a blockage.. is this an easy fix..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It depends on how far the Insulation has gone into the pipe. It could be as simple as removing a pipe fitting and removing the blockage. It could also involve replacing large sections of the pipe. Blocking could be in the attic but it could be in a wall or under the bathroom floor.

Edit: I'd contact the Insulation company first. They might send out their own plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Annie76

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It depends on how far the Insulation has gone into the pipe. It could be as simple as removing a pipe fitting and removing the blockage. It could also involve replacing large sections of the pipe. Blocking could be in the attic but it could be in a wall or under the bathroom floor.

Edit: I'd contact the Insulation company first. They might send out their own plumber

Thanks for that.. 😱 doesn’t sound good. I assumed that they were going to cover everything. So annoyed with what’s happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Oh this could be a nightmare.
    Had to deal with a similar situation and it was a pain in the proverbial sorting it out.
    Tap spouts had small particles blocking them.
    Toilet cistern fillers were blocked.
    And there were particles blocking the pipe runs.

If all the spouts are clear and the cistern fillers have been cleared and you still have issues then its time to open pipe connections and use a very strong wet vac to try extract particles from the pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Oh this could be a nightmare.
    Had to deal with a similar situation and it was a pain in the proverbial sorting it out.
    Tap spouts had small particles blocking them.
    Toilet cistern fillers were blocked.
    And there were particles blocking the pipe runs.

If all the spouts are clear and the cistern fillers have been cleared and you still have issues then its time to open pipe connections and use a very strong wet vac to try extract particles from the pipework.

Interesting. I thought that type of foam product would tend to sit on top of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Interesting. I thought that type of foam product would tend to sit on top of the water.

Generally I would have thought the exact same. But somehow some bits of it made it into the pipework.
    My guess is probably after absorbing so much water and whatever type of material it is, it probably sinks a bit and it's just bad luck. In the case I dealt with there was still loads of it in the tank which I siphoned empty then vac'd it clean.
    Apparently it had been quite a while since the work was done, so it took time for it to happen.
    The strong wet vac was the key to sorting it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The tank should really be covered and insulated , there are far nastier things that end up in water tanks than a bit of insulation unfortunately.

Bats, mice etc.

Advertisement