Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donation to sport club

Options
  • 10-04-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭

I am a sole trader local sports club is raising funds for a sports project. Can I declare any funds I give them against tax

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Perhaps this is a question for your accountant in stead of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I think people come here for help and guidance and not professional advice. We could probably tell every poster that comes on here that they could get whatever information they are looking for from elsewhere, but why someone would waste their time and effort tapping their keyboard just to tell them that is beyond me.

Anyway - revenue have guidance on donations to sports bodies - see https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/charities-and-sports-bodies/tax-relief-on-donations-to-certain-sporting-bodies/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The reason I did not ring the Accountant is because its a fairly basic accountancy question. they are all working away from the office. I have to ring the office, get someone to get him to contact me and ask him a fairly minor question.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

duffysfarm wrote: »
    ....but why someone would waste their time and effort tapping their keyboard just to tell them that is beyond me.

OP's question was phrased in a way which suggested they were intending to simply treat the expenditure as a business expense.

Does the expenditure qualify as an approved donation for an approved sporting body and an approved project? Would it make more sense to pay for advertising in stead?

Sometimes simple questions do not have simple answers, and a quick call to the pro who knows the full picture is worth the effort of some key strokes.

Advertisement