Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screened soil

Options
  • 10-04-2021 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, is it ok to use screened topsoil with a mix of manure in a raised bed? I intend to plant fruits. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭rje66

kilk wrote: »
    Hi, is it ok to use screened topsoil with a mix of manure in a raised bed? I intend to plant fruits. TIA

Yes, should be. The plants will love it and every weed that lands there will think its heaven......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't overdo the manure, a bit is good, too much will produce soft growth or even burn the plants. I can see the advantages of screened topsoil in removing rubbish, but if it is too finely screened you could end up with a solid, overly close mass. A few small stones improves soil imo, but if it is appropriately screened there will still be some small stones in it. The last lot I got I specifically was not screened and it was perfectly good.

Short answer is, yes, go ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My last lot of top soil wasn't screened and i'm constantly picking glass and small boulders out of the beds...

Advertisement