Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Shay Healy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RIP Shay Healy indeed.
    Loved Nighthawks when I was a youth.
    Wrote one of the greatest Eurovision songs ever also.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I remember that episode of nighthawks with doherty, that and p flynn on the late late were moments you never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

RIP Shay. A staple of Irish TV/radio for those of us growing up in the 80s...great memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The oldest hipster in town, and certainly on RTE.

Loved him on nighthawks but still remember as a teen reading his book in the late 80s early 90s about a band touring Ireland smoking hash which summed up my teenage years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RIP. Loved nighthawks too.
    He had an interesting life.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Sad to hear this news.

I never met him, but I liked Shay, he always came across as a friendly chap on radio and TV and he packed a lot of media activity into his life. Nighthawks was ground breaking TV for Ireland and he handled it so well.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Interviews with Johnny Logan at al. on Radio 1 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A true talent and a nice man. Was in his company once and enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear this. What's Another Year is up there with Rock 'n' Roll Kids as my favourite Eurovision song from ourselves.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Loved his program with Ingrid Miley "The Dublin Village", I've begged rte to either put in on player or sell it to me at a not extortionate price, no joy yet.
    Hopefully they might now in Shay's honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Loved his program with Ingrid Miley "The Dublin Village", I've begged rte to either put in on player or sell it to me at a not extortionate price, no joy yet.
    Hopefully they might now in Shay's honour.

Was just going to come on and mention this programme. Something RTE does wonderfully well like Hands, As the Crow Flies, Waterways etc.

I was too young to remember the original broadcast but do remember when it was shown again a few years back (actually, probably 15 years ago at this stage) along with some of the programmes mentioned above. I think there was good foresight on behalf of the producers to capture Dublin's old village charm before major development took hold a few years later.

Healy had a demeanour that was engaging with the public but didn't suffer fools either. A bit of a curmudgeon in later years, but he was always on the ball and called it as he saw it.

They don't make them like that anymore.

Advertisement