Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn after building work: tiller... scarifier... ?

Options
  • 09-04-2021 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hi.

We completed a significant house rebuild. Garden in a wreck, as expected.

I've about 105m² of lawn that still has some sort of grass but it's not in great nick. I'm fixing the really bad patches and getting rid of stones. It's lumpy and bumpy and hard, but it could get us through the summer.

The remaining 90m² or so out back and to the side are bare, compressed, and with loads of debris under the surface. These are the pieces that were really part of the building "site", with everything from rubble from the old house to heavy machinery all over it.

So, using spade, fork, and rake I've prepared and sown 10m² (i.e. dug down to about 6-8 inches, turned it all over, raked it through, pulled out all the solid stuff, added some peat moss and topsoil, then after some time put the grass seed on).

I've prepared another 24m² similarly; just waiting for it to settle a bit before sowing.

Another 52m² or so to go. The amount of rocks and stones (and bits of roof tile, brick, glass, etc.) I've taken out has filled one skip bag already. Masses of the stuff. It's hard work, so I have a couple of questions.

a) would a small tiller be worthwhile? I saw one in Lidl for about €80 similar to this https://wikilidl.com/2020/04/17/parkside-tiller-pgk-1400-a1/

b) for the size of garden, would an electric scarifier/aerator be worthwhile (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96BKiMlkFUc) or am I better off spending the same money on tools and doing it by hand?

Finally there's also a small lawn (say 24m²) in front that is about 50/50 weeds to grass, but it tidies up ok for passers by. Good enough for now.

Thanks for any advice. I'm in pure learning mode here. Two kids under 5 so the garden is super important to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Hi
    I got the Aldi tiller last year. They don't particularly like rocks - so if you have big, embedded ones you'll end up damaging the tines. They are great in terms of digging earth - but your situation I'm not so sure it is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

legend99 wrote: »
    Hi
    I got the Aldi tiller last year. They don't particularly like rocks - so if you have big, embedded ones you'll end up damaging the tines. They are great in terms of digging earth - but your situation I'm not so sure it is the answer.
    Thanks for the reply.

Also, damn it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say it'd be cheaper to just rent a heavier rotovator for the day, than to buy that lidl one, for what's remaining to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm in a similar boat except the grass is mostly fully grown. House was built 4 years ago, back garden is mostly a mix of clay, rubble and stones with grass and weeds growing out of it

The ground is absolutely rubbish, it's about as permeable as concrete, an absolute nightmare to dig up or work on

I'm really kicking myself that I didn't go through it and pick up all the stones and rubble when it was just bare earth and grass seed

Wondering if there's anything can be done retrospectively without totally destroying the lawn that's there already?

I'm not against digging it up, putting down compost and topsoil and reseeding, but it's nice for the kids to be able to play out there so I'd prefer not to go that far just yet

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm not against digging it up, putting down compost and topsoil and reseeding, but it's nice for the kids to be able to play out there so I'd prefer not to go that far just yet

I'm in the same boat.

Lawn is 3 years old and on clay soil. Prone to compaction, holds water and goes rock hard when it's dry. It's got that much weed grass on it I'm think of lifting it up, tilling, bringing in good topsoil and laying turf. Have two young kids also so reseeding would be a big inconvenience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Wolftown

I'm in the same boat.

Lawn is 3 years old and on clay soil. Prone to compaction, holds water and goes rock hard when it's dry. It's got that much weed grass on it I'm think of lifting it up, tilling, bringing in good topsoil and laying turf. Have two young kids also so reseeding would be a big inconvenience

Also in the same boat. I scarified, aerated and put down a mix of peat moss and sand before reseeding.

Three weeks in now and it is looking so much better, although this cold spell has hindered growth recently.

2 kids under 5 and a dog being kept off it...it is definitely an inconvenience!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Wolftown wrote: »
    Also in the same boat. I scarified, aerated and put down a mix of peat moss and sand before reseeding.

Three weeks in now and it is looking so much better, although this cold spell has hindered growth recently.

2 kids under 5 and a dog being kept off it...it is definitely an inconvenience!

I might go that route, but space it out a bit more

Scarify now and put down weed and feed

Top dress with compost and reseed in the autumn. Not ideal time but at least it won't get trampled by the kids as much :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement