Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Escape Farm (CSA)

Options
  • 09-04-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am thinking of starting up a csa farm in West Wicklow, not far from Blessington. The main purpose of the farm would be to try and get members in the Dublin area. The farm would be small on 3 acres and members would be free to visit and volunteer on the farm.

I am trying to find out if people like this idea and I am not currently looking for members.

I am not sure yet how the membership would work. I am thinking a paid subscription for 6 months of the year at 60 euro. I would really like to open the land up to people in Dublin looking to escape city life. Long term goals would include working with community development programs in Dublin and West Wicklow.

I am really just looking to see if anybody thinks there is a demand for this approach which aims to gives it's members fresh organic veg and fruit and offer a space for people to be as active as they like on the farm which would be under an hours drive from the city center.

If anybody has any ideas please share them with me.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

Interesting idea and you have a huge catchment area there. The Echo newspaper had an article only last week about huge waiting lists for allotments in the Tallaght and Clondalkin area. I know your idea is different but you may be able to pick up some of those who face a waiting time that can be years. If SDCC got their sh1t together though they could cut that list easy enough as I know there is a lot of empty plots in the Friarstown site. SDCC have actually tried twice and failed twice to get a Farmers Market going in Tallaght but this was maybe ten years ago. Do you know of any other CSAs going? I'd be interested to know how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cityescapefarm

Thank you, that looks really great and I am already looking forward to it.

Advertisement