Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding

Options
  • 09-04-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I have a Peugeot with Super Vitus 980 tubing.

This is broken down near bottom bracket.

Can this be welded ? And if so is there anyone that can do it ?

I would expect to fit a small collar and weld it to the frame.

I got it for free so if its not possible then its no big deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Super Vitus 980 was a very light, thin (and somewhat flexy) tubeset, designed for lugged & brazed frames. I suspect trying to weld the break directly to the BB could just end up blowing holes in it. IIRC, the butted ends are only about 0.8mm thick

Maybe, as you've suggested, you might be able to extend the BB shell lug by welding on a collar and then brazing the broken tube into the collar but it might take more time (and cost) than the frame is worth.

If the frame was of value, I'd be inclined to see if the downtube could be replaced which would be more straightforward, though I don't think you can get 980 tubing anymore.

(I had a 980 frame years ago that cracked at the seat cluster - its not the strongest material..)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

As I found the frame (literally) and its a 60 cms I will probably dump this so.

Not worth fixing it if its going to be a hassle.

Although they were lovely frames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe drop a photo to that chap in naas or newbridge? the bicycle design centre IIRC.

Advertisement